1. What is the passbook? A. A book to help you pass exams. B. A book to show your identity. C. A book to tell you where to live. D. A book to tell you how to live. Listen and find out the reason why Elias joined the ANC Youth League, then answer the following questions.
2. Why is it important? A. For traveling outside South Africa. B. For showing where you were born. C. For traveling inside South Africa. D. For getting a job.
3. What job did Elias want to do? A. To work with other black workers. B. To work as a cleaner. C. To teach in a primary school. D. To work in the mines.
4. Who worked underground? A. The white workers. B. The black and white workers. C. The black workers. D. Foreign workers
5. Who worked on the surface? A. The black workers. B. The black and white workers. C. The white workers. D. Foreign workers.
6. Where did Elias live? A. In a classroom. B. In a home of his own. C. In a large room with beds. D. With his family.
1. Do you think Elias was right to join the ANC Youth League? Give a reason. 2. Imagine you are Elias, what would you do? Give a reason.
Listening text I know you wonder why I could not get a job I liked, and why I had to have a passbook at all. The passbook had your name, age, a dress and your birthplace. WHY ELIAS JOINED THE ANC YOUTH LEAGUE
Without this passbook I was not allowed to travel in South Africa at all, and if the police found me without it or if I was living in the wrong town, I could be put in prison or sent back to the countryside where I was born. I did not want that so I went to see Nelson Mandela.
I could not do many jobs because of my poor education. At that time, most black children did not use their school years well. Most had to leave school without finishing primary school. When I left school, I wanted to work in a gold mine, where black people are well paid.
But I was not old enough so I had to waited till I was older to become a real miner. The mines used black workers to dig gold from the ground. The white workers sat in offices but black South Africans worked hard underground digging for the gold. And we could not live with our families like the white people did.
We had to live in large rooms with beds placed like the desks in a classroom. I had no wife or children but I still did not want to live with my workmates. I hope to live in a home of my own, but that was not allowed for black workers.
I joined the ANC Youth League because it wanted the same rights for black and white people in south Africa. The white people could live where they liked. They owned almost all the land in South Africa though they were fewer in numbers than black people.
They had the best schools. They had the best doctors. They could make the laws. We wanted to be the same and equal to the white people in our own land.
He wrote the Bible in English so all could read it. He died for his ideas but his work was later used in the Bible.
1. About how many years ago did William Tyndale live? William Tyndale lived about five hundred years ago. 2. Give the reasons why he is remembered. There are two reasons: He wrote the Bible in English. He wrote beautiful English prose. Answer questions.
3. Why did the Bible have to be written in English? The Bible had to be written in English so that everybody could read it. 4. Why did some of his phrases become part of the English language? His phrases became part of the English language because people so loved his words.
5. Why is his English Bible still popular today? It is still so popular because people love his writing.
A: Do you know who William Tyndale was? B: His name sounds as if he came from England. A: Yes, you’re right. He was born in London a long time ago. Do you know when he lived? Listening Text
B: He lived from 1494 to 1536. So he was only 42 years old when he died. A: But why is he remembered? B: For two reasons. He wrote the Bible in English so that everyone could read it. He wrote so beautifully that people still use some of his words and expressions today.
A: Why did he need to write the Bible in English? B: Because some of it was written in the Greek language and some in the Hebrew language and most people could not read them. A: So people liked his Bible in English. B: But the English king didn’t like it.
A: Why not? B: At that time the English king was King Henry VIII. He was not happy with William Tyndale because he did not want the people to read the Bible in English. A: So what did William Tyndale do?
B: He went to another country called Belgium where the king could not find him and he wrote his English Bible there. A: Did the king find him? B: But other people found him in Belgium. A: What happened?
B: He was put in prison and later he was killed. But writing the Bible in English was a good idea, wasn’t it? A: Yes. His Bible was the first one written in English that was used in churches in England. B: Do people still read this Bible today?
A: Yes, people in England still love his words today. It is still the most popular Bible written in English. B: He was a great man to be so brave.
1.What does a “point of view” mean? It means that there may be more than one way of looking at things. 2. Why will the police not just ask one person after an accident? Because one person may not have seen everything that happened.
3. Why will people tell different stories after an accident? Because they each have a different idea of the accident. 4. Why did the two speakers have different ideas about the cause of the accident? Because they were in different places when the accident happened, they saw things differently.
INFORMATION ON A CAR ACCIDENT BY: A Where did it happen? How many people in the accident? BEFORE THE ACCIDENT Where was the boy? On the road. 2 Walking along the road.
Where was the car? What happened? Who caused it? Coming up behind the boy. The car was going too fast and did not the driver did not look. It hit the boy and hurt him. The car driver.
INFORMATION ON A CAR ACCIDENT BY: B Where did it happen? How many people in the accident? BEFORE THE ACCIDENT Where was the boy? On the road. 2 Walking in the road.
Where was the car? What happened? Who caused it? Came up behind the boy. The boy moved farther into the road. The car tired to stop but it couldn’t and it hit the boy. The boy was hurt. The boy.
Listening Text Do you know what a point of view is? It means that there may be more than one way of looking at things. For example, if an accident happens the police will ask all those who were nearby what happened. They will not just ask one person because that person may not have seen everything that happened.
Then will ask everybody. The stories that people tell will often be different. This is because they each have a different idea of the accident. All these ideas are different points of view. Let us look closer at the accident. A boy is walking in the road when a car comes behind him and hurts him. There are two people who see what happens. Let us listen to their stories.
A: I was walking along the road when I saw the boy coming towards me. He was walking in the bicycle lane of the road. A car came very fast up the road in the bicycle lane. The driver did not see the boy and knocked over and hurt him. It was the car driver who caused the accident.
B: I saw the boy walking in the road. He was not doing what he should do and he moved farther into the road as the car came up behind him. The car tried to stop but it was too close to him. So the car hurt the boy. But it was the boy who caused the accident.
When you hear two points of view, it is up to you to decide who was correct. So who do you think caused the accident?
1. Write down the cause of the accident. 2. Preview Writing. Homework