Presentation on theme: "Nutrition Unit Name _______________. Definitions Nutrition – Eating ________the body needs to grow, develop, and work properly. Nutrients- The _____________in."— Presentation transcript:
Definitions Nutrition – Eating ________the body needs to grow, develop, and work properly. Nutrients- The _____________in food our body needs to function properly. Diet – The food and __________we regularly choose to consume (dietary habits). Digestion-The _____________ down of the foods we eat into a form the body can use. RDA-(Recommended ___________ Allowance) How much of a certain _____________ you need each day. Fiber- The ______________ part of foods we eat. Found in fruits, vegetables and _____________.
Factors That Influence Your Diet… Geography _________________ Convenience/fast foods Cost ________________ Friends Personal Taste ________________ Traditions “Today” Budget Big Money _________________ Preferences
Nutrients Your body uses some nutrients... –To keep your ___________ healthy. –For ____________. Your body can make some of the nutrients it needs, but MOST come form the _________ you eat. There are 6 main categories of nutrients: –Carbohydrates, _____________, Fats, Vitamins, ____________, and Water
2. Proteins They help build, ____________, and maintain all the body tissues. 4 calories / 1 gram Made of chains of building blocks called ____________. 22 different amino acids, your body can ONLY make 8 on its own. 2 main sources: 1.___________ Sources ( Complete Proteins- contain all 22) Fish, Meat, Poultry, Eggs, Milk, Cheese. 2.Plant Sources (_______________ Proteins) Beans, Legumes, Seeds, Nuts (soy), tofu.
2-b. Proteins Main Function: –Vital to build and repair ________________. –In enzymes proteins control rate of biochemical reactions in cell body. –In hormones proteins __________ reactions. –In antibodies proteins help identify and destroy bacteria and ________________. RDA: _______________% daily caloric intake.
3. Fats Are a great source of __________ and essential for vital body functions. Are very important but only needed in small amounts. Diets containing too much fat are linked to _______________and heart disease. 9 calories / 1 gram Fats help to… –_____________ the body. –Cushion the bodies organs. –Carry fat-soluble _______________. –Promote healthy _________ and normal growth.
3b. Fats/cholesterol-2 types 1.Saturated Fats (LDL)-_____cholesterol –Tend to be _________ at room temperature, Found in meats and____________ products. 2.Unsaturated Fats (HDL)-__________ cholesterol –Found in _____________ and some fish. –_____________ at room temperature. RDA: ______________% daily caloric intake.
4. Vitamins Help keep your body healthy and control body functions, but do NOT provide energy. Control many vital body _____________. Work with minerals. Vitamins can be found in fresh _____________, fruits, nuts, and _______________ products. Many people take vitamins in the form of a pill, this is ok. However, the best way to get your vitamins is by eating a ___________of fruits and vegetables.
4b. Vitamins-2 types 1.Water-Soluble Vitamins –______________ in water (excess is excreted in urine). –Easily digested. –_____________________in body tissues, you need to get them everyday. –You can decrease vitamin loss by… _____________fruits and vegetables quickly. Steaming or using small amounts of water. Covering food during cooking. Using leftover fluid in soups and stews. 2.Fat-Soluble Vitamins –Absorbed and transported by fat. –Excess _______________ in fatty tissue. –Excess can have _______________ effects.
4c. Vitamins NameWhat It Does For Your Body Where You Can Get It Vitamin ANecessary for healthy _________. Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, Squash. Vitamin B-12Aids in concentration, ____________, and balance. Fish, Milk, Eggs, Meat, Poultry. Vitamin CHelps your body fight _______ that cause illness. Orange Juice, Broccoli, Papaya.
5. Minerals Are essential for good health. Are very important, but only needed in ____________quantities. Are inorganic substances that the body can NOT make. ____________– Sodium, Chloride, and Potassium –Lost through perspiration / must replenish. –They become electrically charged when in body fluids. –Electrolyte balance requires that the intake of water and electrolytes is equal to the amounts of water and electrolytes eliminated from the body.
5b. Minerals Name Of The Mineral What It Does For Your Body Where You Can Get It CalciumNecessary for healthy and strong ___________. Milk, Cheese, Yogurt, Sardines. IronNecessary for your blood to deliver ___________ to your cells, prevents tiredness. Tofu, Spinach, Red Meat, Black eyed Peas.
6. Water Is the most essential_______________. You can not survive more than a ____________without water. Your body is almost 70% water. What water does for you… –Carries ____________ and waste products throughout your body cells. –Helps regulate body_________________. Coolant (Perspiration/Sweat) –Fills the spaces between cells which are made mostly of water. –Helps ________________your joints.
6b. Water You should drink _____________glasses of water per day. Many foods also contain water… –Fruits, Vegetables, Milk (75% water) –Poultry and Meat (50 to 60 % water) –Grain Products (5 to 35% water) Lack of water can lead to… –A poor functioning body. –__________________, the drying out of the body. –Fainting. –_____________ (Extreme Cases).