Presentation on theme: "Lesson #4 Pages 126-129. * Identifying when teens should seek help * Know how to overcome the stumbling blocks for getting help * Where to go in the community."— Presentation transcript:
* Identifying when teens should seek help * Know how to overcome the stumbling blocks for getting help * Where to go in the community to receive help * Describe the different mental health professionals
* More than ½ of suicide youths had symptoms of a mental disorder for more than a year prior to their deaths. * Teens should seek help if they experience any of the following! * You feel trapped or you worry all the time * Your feelings affect your sleep, eating habits or school work * Your friends and family express concern * You are becoming involved with alcohol and drugs * You are becoming increasingly aggressive, violent or reckless
* When asking for help, remember these facts: * Asking for help is a sign of inner strength. It shows responsibility for one’s own wellness. * Serious disorders, compulsions, and addictions are complex and require professional intervention. * Sharing your thoughts with an objective, helpful individual can be a great relief. * Financial help to pay for care may be available.
* Question: Where can you go for help? 1. Trusted Adult a) Parent b) Relative c) Teacher 2. School Counselor 3. Social Worker 4. Crisis Hotline
* Counselor: A professional who handles personal and educational matters * School psychologist: A professional who specializes in the assessment of learning, emotional, and behavioral problems. * Psychiatrist: A physician (doctor) who diagnoses and treats mental disorders and can prescribe medications. * Clinical psychologist: a professional who diagnoses and treats emotional and behavioral disorders with counseling. * Neurologist: A physician who specializes in physical disorders of the brain and nervous system.
1. Open iSwifter APP 2. Open the bookmarks tab and choose “Glencoe chapter activities” 3. Drop Down: “Chapter Activities” 4. Go to: Chapter 5 5. Next, Open: “eFlashcards” * http://www.glencoe.com/qe/efcsec.php? qi=21316 http://www.glencoe.com/qe/efcsec.php? qi=21316
1. Open iSwifter APP 2. Open the bookmarks tab and choose “Glencoe chapter activities” 3. Drop Down: “Chapter Activities” 4. Go to: Chapter 5 5. Next, Open: “Online Quizzes” * http://glencoe.mcgraw- hill.com/sites/0078913284/student_view0/unit2/chapt er5/online_quizzes.html http://glencoe.mcgraw- hill.com/sites/0078913284/student_view0/unit2/chapt er5/online_quizzes.html