Presentation on theme: "DO NOW QUESTION When Hurricane Sandy hit NJ and NY in October of 2012, severe flooding occurred in coastal areas. Due to the moon’s location in its orbit,"— Presentation transcript:
DO NOW QUESTION When Hurricane Sandy hit NJ and NY in October of 2012, severe flooding occurred in coastal areas. Due to the moon’s location in its orbit, the ocean tides were 11-feet higher than normal during high tide. What can you conclude about the moon’s phase when Hurricane Sandy hit? What kind of tide (spring or neap) occurred?
TIDES 1. What are tides? Periodic rise and fall of water level in the oceans 2. Two forces that influence tides: 1. Sun 2. Moon
3. The moon’s pull is strongest at the place on E that is: b. Directly facing the moon 4. The pull of the moon on the ocean causes water to bulge and create: c. High tides
5. The two factors that determine when tides occur are the rotation of the Earth and the : b. Revolution of the moon 6. How long does it take for a spot on E that is facing the moon to rotate so that it is facing the moon again? d. 24 h and 50 min
7. The difference in levels of ocean water at high tide and low tide is called the: tidal range 8. Tides that occur when the sun, moon, and E are aligned are: Spring tides 9. Tides with the smallest daily tidal range are: neap tides
1. When are the sun, moon, and Earth in a line: During a New Moon and Full Moon 2. What happens to the pull of gravity on the Earth when the sun, Earth, and moon are in a line? It increases, causing higher high tides and lower low tides
3. At are the unusually high and low tides called? Spring Tides 4. How often do the unusually high and low tides occur? Every 14 days (2 times a month) 5. At which moon phases do the spring tides take place? New Moon and Full Moon
1. When are the moon and sun at right angles? During 1 st (waxing) Quarter and Last (waning) Quarter 2. What happens to the pull of gravity when the moon and sun are at tight angles? It weakens, the Sun and Moon’s gravity works against one another
3. What kinds of tides occur when the moon and sun are at right angles? Neap tides 4. What are tides that are not very high and not very low called? Neap tides
5. How often do these tides occur? Every 14 days (2 times a month) 6. At which moon phases do these tides take place? 1 st (waxing) Quarter and Last (waning) Quarter
THINK, PAIR, SHARE What branch of Earth Science would Hurricane Sandy fall under?