Presentation on theme: "DESIGN QUESTION Lesson 8 and 9 RESEARCH CONTEXT: Bread based snacks DESIGN TASK : Savoury snack and dip products."— Presentation transcript:
DESIGN QUESTION Lesson 8 and 9 RESEARCH CONTEXT: Bread based snacks DESIGN TASK : Savoury snack and dip products
Starter Activity Write down as many Savoury snack and dip products you know….
Learning outcomes- Over the next two lessons you will... KNOW The key areas that can be covered in Section 1 of the exam. UNDERSTAND The focus of each question in the this exam section. BE ABLE TO… CREATE TWO design ideas which meet a design criteria. DESCRIBE hygiene and safety checks and Quality control checks you would do for Stages of making of Dip and dipper products. IDENTIFY and JUSTIFY a choice of storage for at least THREE Dip and dipper products. IDENTIFY how balanced your Dip and dipper design ideas are in relation to the Eatwell plate. EXPLAIN how at least ONE design idea meets the needs for a special occasion.
Lesson 1 Dips Lesson 2 PRACTICAL Dips Lesson 3 Dips Lesson 4 & 5 Safe storage Lesson 6 Standard components Lesson 7 PRACTICAL Bread sticks Lesson 8 & 9 Design exam Questions Lesson 10 Research Techniques Lesson 11 & 12 Functions of foods Lesson 13 PRACTICAL Bread and share Lesson 14 Manufacturing quality and CAD/CAM Lesson 15 Equipment Lesson 16 PRACTICAL Cultural breads Lesson 17 Prototypes and sensory testing Lesson 18 Nutrition and healthy Eating Lesson 19 Nutrition and healthy Eating Lesson 20 PRACTICAL Pastry twist development Lesson 21 Combining ingredients and structures Lesson 22 Acids, alkaline and additives Lesson 23 Labelling and packaging Lesson 24 SECE Lesson 25 Technological Developments - NANO Lesson 26 & 27 PRACTICE EXAM BIG PICTURE OF EXAM PREP SHEET LESSONS
Section A of the exam paper This section is worth a total of 30 marks. Areas covered in this section of the exam paper are: 1. SKETCHING 2 different design ideas which meet a design criteria (worth 12 marks). 2. PRODUCING a plan for making ONE design idea in a test kitchen (worth 8 marks). 3. IDENTIFYING and JUSTIFYING a choice of storage for one design idea. 4. IDENTIFYING and DESCRIBING functions of nutrients found in one design idea ( relating to the Eatwell plate). 5. EXPLAINING how one design idea meets the needs for a target consumer / special occassion.
1. SKETCHING 2 different design ideas which meet a design criteria (worth 12 marks). What should you include? Think back to your design drawings in your coursework – What did you include?
Design drawing in the exam 1. Title 2. 3d drawing 3. Labelled ingredients TIP – Take at least 4 different coloured pencils into the exam with you
Task Sketch TWO different design ideas for a SAVOURY SNACK AND DIP PRODUCTS The product must: Have sensory appeal Include at least 2 groups from the Eatwell Plate The dipper/savour snack must be from a bread based product. Must have desired texture. Must have a multi cultural theme.
CREATE a success criteria for answering a sketching exam question. What key points should you include? Mini plenary
2. PRODUCING a plan for making ONE design idea in a test kitchen This question is worth 8 marks. It examines your knowledge of: 1. Hygiene and safety checks. 2. Stages of making of products. 3. Quality control checks.
Task – INDIVIDUALLY create a list of checks which can be completed during practical that examine the areas below. Think back to your final practical. COMPARE answers with your partner Hygiene and safety checksQuality control checks KEY (H) Hygiene. (S) Safety. Time. (T) Temperature. (Q) Quality.
Task – INDIVIDUALLY create a list of checks which can be completed during practical that examine the areas below. Think back to your final practical. COMPARE answers with your partner Kitchen hygiene (H) 1. Clean apron 2. Clean equipment 3. Clean area Equipment working correctly Observational check. (S) (Visual checks) Check date code (S) Check equipment working (S) Sensory testing (S) No double dips ! Raw ingredients stored at correct temperature (T) Check oven or hob is at the correct temp (T) Check fridge temp (T) Expected texture (Q) e.g. Smooth texture. Check recipe (Q)/ Check seasoning (Q) Check duration of cooking/ blending (Q) Presentation of finished product (Q) finishing techniques used. Hygiene and safety checksQuality control checks KEY (H) Hygiene. (S)Safety. Time. (T) Temperature. (Q) Quality
2. PRODUCING a plan for making ONE design idea in a test kitchen (worth 8 marks). Hygiene and safety checksStages of makingQuality control checks Select one of the designs from your sketches. In the exam you will tick a box demonstrating which design idea you have chosen. Using the chart below, produce a plan for making your chosen design idea in a test kitchen.
(H) Hygiene. (S) Safety. Time. (T) Temperature. (Q) Quality Mini Review – Create a MNEMONIC to recall the key checks you should include when answering this exam question
3. IDENTIFYING and JUSTIFYING a choice of storage. Think back to last weeks lessons to do with Safe storage. Which storage is suitable for the following dip and dippers? Match the dips to dippers.
Task – Complete the below exam question. Describe the type storage you would use for each of your design ideas. Give reasons (JUSTIFY) for each of your choices. (4 marks )
Task – What are the health and safety implications for not storing dips and dippers correctly?
MINI REVIEW - LIST as many as possible storage, Health and safety methods in 30 seconds…
4. IDENTIFYING and DESCRIBING functions of nutrients found in one design idea. Identify the complementary FOOD GROUPS in your design ideas of the combined snack and dip.
Activity - Complete Eatwell activity Select ONE design idea. Complete the Eatwell plate demonstrating how balanced your dip and dipper design is. Compare yours with someone else in the group
Mini review – label all of the sections of the Eatwell plate.
5. EXPLAINING how one design idea meets the needs for a target consumer. Think back to our first lesson - What Social Occasions would you serve dips and dippers?
Which special occasions would the following dips and dippers be suitable for?
Task Which of your design ideas are suitable for 1. Children's party? 2. Dinner party? Why - JUSTIFY your choice of special occasion. (4 marks)
Why must dip and dipper manufacturers take target consumers into consideration when designing their products? Mini review – Extend your thinking….