Presentation on theme: "Current uses and facts. Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells were developed by General Electric in the 1960s Current Fuel Cells use Hydrogen gas and Oxygen."— Presentation transcript:
About 9 million metric tons, about 19.8 billion pounds, of hydrogen is being made in the U.S. alone every year. The current process for producing hydrogen is through the steam reforming of methane from natural gas. CH 4 + H 2 O → CO + 3 H 2
NASA has been using hydrogen fuel cells as batteries to power space shuttles electrical systems The Fuel Cells lasted longer than the typical battery
Fuel cell efficiency is at about 60% now, while a typical gas fueled vehicle has an efficiency of about 20%. This means that 60% of the Hydrogen is converted into electrical energy while the remaining 40% is converted into heat.