Presentation on theme: "Waupun Utilities Water Treatment Facility. Treatment Processes Source Water Pretreatment System Reverse Osmosis System Post Treatment System Distribution."— Presentation transcript:
Treatment Processes Source Water Pretreatment System Reverse Osmosis System Post Treatment System Distribution
Source Water A 10 in. diameter hole was drilled to 921 ft. in 1896. A 60 hp submersible pump set at 187 ft. supplies 650 gpm. Well 1 Well 2Well 3Well 4 Well 5 A 12 in. diameter hole was drilled to 611 ft. in 1916. A 60 hp submersible pump set at 140 ft. supplies 680 gpm. A 12 in. diameter hole was drilled to 794 ft. in 1964. A 125 hp vertical turbine pump supplies 900 gpm. A 12 in. diameter hole was drilled to 850 ft. in 1990. A 150 hp vertical turbine pump supplies 1375 gpm. A 14 in. diameter Hole was drilled to 866 ft. in 1999. A 150 hp vertical turbine pump supplies 1475 gpm.
Pretreatment System Chlorine is added as an oxidant, this will convert iron and manganese into an insoluble form. Horizontal multi-cell greensand filters will capture the iron and manganese. This will allow us to meet iron and manganese requirements and prolong life of the RO membranes. A 5 micron cartridge filter is use to capture any sand particles carried over from the filters. Scale inhibitor is added to prevent calcium carbonate and soluble salts from scaling within the membrane system. The average raw water contains 1.2 mg/L (2.4 maximum) of iron and 0.01 mg/L (0.5 maximum) of manganese. The water is dechlorinated with sodium bisulfite. 100% of raw water is treated for iron and manganese.
Reverse Osmosis System System pressure is increased to force the water through semi-permeable membranes to separate impurities. The amount of pressure applied will dictate the degree of purity. Water that passes through the membrane is called permeate or finished water. Permeate represents about 80% of the water sent to post treatment. The remaining 20% is bypassed around the RO. Water that is filtered out is called concentrate or reject, and is sent to the sewer. 1,875 938 Finished Water to Distribution (gpm) 4003691,4751,8442,2442 2001847389221,1221 Bypass (gpm) Concentrate (gpm) Permeate (gpm) RO Feed (gpm) Well Pumpage (gpm) No. of RO Systems
Post Treatment System Permeate and Bypass water will be mixed prior to a forced-draft degasifier. As water passes through the degasifier, carbon dioxide is removed by forcing air through the water flow. Stripping of carbon dioxide raises pH in the finished water, which helps prevent corrosive water. In addition to CO2 stripping, caustic soda (sodium hydroxide) is added to accomplish a pH near 8.0. Fluoride and Chlorine is added to the water, meeting all state requirements.
Distribution Vertical turbine pumps called “high lift pumps”, pump finished water to the distribution system. Finished water is stored in reservoir and in elevated towers. Storage is need for fire protection and the elevated towers help maintain pressure. Tower No. 1Tower No. 2Reservoir 554,000 gal.250,000 gal.400,000 gal. Total Storage 1,204,000 gal.
Flow Schematic Well 1 Well 2 Well 3 Well 4 Well 5 Green Sand Filter Reverse Osmosis Degasifier Chemical Addition Distribution Bypass