Presentation on theme: "Edgar Allan Poe Biography Webquest. 1. Name Poe’s parents. Elizabeth Arnold Poe David Poe, Jr. 2. What was Poe’s mother’s profession when he was born?"— Presentation transcript:
1. Name Poe’s parents. Elizabeth Arnold Poe David Poe, Jr. 2. What was Poe’s mother’s profession when he was born? actress
3. What happened to Poe’s biological father? He abandoned the family 4. How old was Poe when his mother died? He was two years old.
5. Name his siblings. William Henry Leonard Poe and Rosalie Poe 6. What happened to Poe’s siblings after they were orphaned? They were sent to live with other families
7. How did Poe come to live with the Allans? John Allan was his godfather, and took him in when his mother died OR Fanny Allan helped nurse Eliza Poe on her deathbed
8. In what other countries did Poe live as a young boy? England and Scotland, 1815-1820 9. Reasons why Poe didn’t like himself as a young boy? John Allan neglected the family and also never formally adopted him. Fanny was frequently sick and didn’t stay the entire 5 years in England, leaving Poe in boarding school
10. Describe Poe’s relationship with John Allan. They argued often because Allan didn’t show affection and thought Poe’s sadness over this was thanklessness 11. What university did John Allan send Poe to? University of Virginia
12. What happened to Poe at that university? He lost a lot of money gambling because Allan didn’t give him enough for his expenses 13. How did John Allan react to Poe’s behavior at the university? Allan wouldn’t let him continue studying there
14. What did Poe do for money after being pulled out of university? He enlisted in the army 15. After paying for Poe’s release from the Army, what did John Allan do for Poe? He helped Poe get a place at West Point
16. What finally ruined Poe’s relationship with Allan? Poe got himself expelled from West Point and wrote Allan an angry letter 17. Describe Poe’s relationship with Maria Clemm She was his aunt who took him in when his relationship with Allan broke down and she became like a mother to him.
18. Who did Poe marry and how old was she? his cousin Virginia Clemm (Maria’s daughter), who was only 13 19. Name some jobs Poe held. He edited a lot of magazines and wrote for newspapers while periodically publishing collections of short stories and poetry.
20. How successful was Poe at these jobs? Poe was good at his work, but his drinking got in the way and prevented him from keeping a job for very long
21. How successful was Poe in his writing career? 1833 MS. Found in a Bottle won $50 from a Baltimore weekly 1843 The Gold-Bug won $100 from the Philadelphia Dollar Newspaper “The Raven” brought him national fame However, he never earned much money.
22. What bad habit did Poe have as an adult? drinking 23. What happened to Poe’s wife? died in January 1847 of tuberculosis
24. How did Poe die and at what age? Under mysterious circumstances – found in a pub and taken to a hospital Died alone five days later Family wasn’t notified Of drinking or heart failure (cause is unclear) at age 40