The Bible, The Story http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV07oHgL9zM&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV07oHgL9zM&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg-2kBgzcnM&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg-2kBgzcnM&feature=related 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
1. The Beginnings Creation (Adam and Eve) The Fall The flood The tower of Babel (confusion of languages)
2. The Patriarchs The Fathers of Israel: Abraham, Isaac and Jacob The Covenant: Abraham’s descendants will be a great nation; give his descendants “the Promised Land; to bless all nations through Abraham’s descendants. The 12 tribes of Israel (Jacob’s children)
3. The Slaves in Egypt Joseph (Jacob’s son) sold into slavery in Egypt by his brothers, where he rises to power as a senior administrator. Famine/drought bring Joseph’s brothers to Egypt. Change in the political dynasty in Egypt; begins oppression of Israelites (for fear of being overrun). Moses, an Israelite but grew up on Pharaoh’s household, is called by God to tell Pharaoh to set free the Israelites. Confronts Pharaoh with 10 plagues.
4. The Exodus from Egypt The 10 th plague and the “Passover”. God’s intervention enables the Israelites to cross the Red Sea. They gather at Mt Sinai and worship God.
5. The Covenant God appears to Moses at Mt Sinai, giving him the Ten Commandments. God also commands the building the Tabernacle (“the tent of God’s presence”)
6. The Wilderness God leads the Israelites to the edge of the Promised Land, but the they don’t trust God to be able to deliver them from the people living there. This rebellion leads them to wander for 40 years in the Wilderness (until all members of that generation have died)
7. The Conquest The new generation are camped east of the Jordan looking into the Canaan when Moses dies. The Israelites enter the Promised Land under the leadership of Joshua.
8. The Cycles Time of the Judges Israelites spread out throughout the Canaan, but do not rid the land of the Canaanites. The Israelites begin worshipping the gods of the Canaanites; God rises up leaders (“Judges”) to bring Israel back to Him. Cycle of Sin and Redemption emerges
9. The Royalty Israel asks God for a king, so they can be like the other nations. Saul becomes the first king of Israel, but he disobeys God. David is chosen by God as the next king. He established Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. He is flawed, yet loves God. He is described as “a man after God’s own heart”. David’s son, Solomon, is the next king. He is very successful, but is so because he oppresses his people. After Solomon, under his son’s (Rehonoam) reign, the nation is divided.
10. The Split Kingdom of Israel (northern - 10 tribes) Capital: Samaria Captured and destroyed by the Assyrians. Remaining Israelites scattered Intermarrying with local people resulted in the Samaritans (the despised “half-breeds”). Kingdom of Judah (southern – 2 tribes) Capital: Jerusalem Continued for another 135 years before being invaded and defeated by the Babylonians. Majority of Jews carried off to Babylon (in exile)
11. The Exile While in exile, Some Jews turned from God for good; Some Jews believed it was God’s plan, but it was unfair; Some Jews believed it was a deserved consequence for their unfaithfulness. God spoke to them through the prophet Ezekiel: while they were suffering due to their own guilt, they should not be without hope.
12. The Return While in exile, the Persians overran Babylon. Cyrus, king of Persia, allowed the Jews to return to Jerusalem. The Jews rebuilt the Temple in Jerusalem (Nehemiah and Ezra) The Jews were not successful as a nation. They longed for God to send them a Saviour. 400 years of Silence.
13. The Kingdom of God Birth of Jesus: “born today, in the city of David, a Saviour, who is the Messiah”. Jesus came to announce the good news: “the Kingdom of God is here and now. Repent and believe the good news.” Jesus’ crucifixion Jesus’ resurrection
14. The Church Day of Pentecost Persecution of Christians in Jerusalem Pauls’ conversion, missionary journeys and teaching
15. The Age to Come Revelation of the End Times: Return of Christ, and The final judgement; New heaven, and New earth.