Presentation on theme: "The Article Великий Новгород МАОУ «Гимназия № 2» Маковеева М. Н. 2015 г."— Presentation transcript:
The Article Великий Новгород МАОУ «Гимназия № 2» Маковеева М. Н. 2015 г.
1. The Indefinite Article a/an Use a /an only before countable nouns in the singular. A girl - girls This is a girl Don’t use a/an before uncountable nouns. Milk, water, snow, love, wind I like music.
2. The Definite Article the the boy Use the before countable nouns in the singular and plural. – the boys
You may use uncountable nouns and countable nouns in the plural without article. You must use countable nouns in the singular with the Definite or Indefinite articles. 3.
4. The Definite Article is used with family names in the plural: the Browns - the Petrovs
4. The Definite Article is used with the names of ships, magazines, newspapers, hotels: the “Russia” the “Times” the “Astoria the names of museums, galleries: the British Museum
4. The Definite Article is used with names of countries in the plural: the United States the United Kingdom the names of organizations, parties: the Labour Party the United Nations Organization But: England Japan
4. The Definite Article is used with cardinal points ( стороны света ) the North (Север) the South (Юг) the East (Восток) the West (Запад)
4. The Definite Article is used with with the names of oceans, rivers, groups of lakes, seas, straits ( проливы ), waterfalls ( водопады ), currents ( течения ): the Pacific (Ocean) the Atlantic Ocean the Nile the Great Salt Lake the Great Lakes the Black Sea the Victoria Fall the Strait of Magellan the English Channel the Gulf Stream water
4. The Definite Article is used with groups of islands, peninsulas ( полуострова ), capes ( мысы ) the British Isles the Havaii the Balkan Peninsula the Cape of Good Hope
4. The Definite Article is used with mountain ranges, deserts: the Alps the Rocky mountains the Sahara
5. No Article continents: Europe Africa the names of countries, cities, villages, states: France California London But: the Vatican the Congo
5. No Article the names of islands, mountains, volcanoes: Greenland Vesuvius Kilimanjaro Volcano Etna if we use the word lake with the name of the lake: Lake Baikal Lake Ontario