Presentation on theme: "The Analysis and Synthesis of Research Studies on Children and Youths entering the Justice System in Thailand. Researcher : Asst. Professor Dr. Sunee Kanyajit,"— Presentation transcript:
The Analysis and Synthesis of Research Studies on Children and Youths entering the Justice System in Thailand. Researcher : Asst. Professor Dr. Sunee Kanyajit, Ph.D Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities. Mahidol University, Thailand.
- Juvenile offenses are serious problems in many countries - Researches have shown numbers of offenses been persistently increased - In Thailand, juvenile offenders entering the justice system have been increased from 30,668 cases to 51, 128 cases, remove as much as 12,656 cases Background and Significance of Problems.
Table 2 Number of all Juvenile cases from Department of Juvenile Observation and Protection from 1997 – 2007 based on type of offense. 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007
1. Department of Juvenile Observation and Protection. 2. Department of Probation. 3. Juvenile and Family Court. 4. Tulakran Chalermprakiat Hospital. Four key agencies inThailand
1) Classification. 2) Rehabilitation. 3) Children and Youths after released. Operation of Juvenile Delinquency In Thailand.
1)Classification : defined by age, gender, and types of offenses. 2) Rehabilitation : devided into specific and general types 3) Children and Youths after released : devided into follow-up system Operation juvenile delinquency 3 major principles.
- general focuses on education required by Thai government being provided to every juvenile and vocational training which specifically set up by each detention - specific rehabilitation focuses on but not limit to, group and individual counseling services depending on types of offenses and their current behaviors i.e. anger management. Operation juvenile delinquency 3 major principles.
1. Children and Youths screening, classification and placement. 2. Children and Youths Rehabilitation. 3. Follow-up of Children and Youths after released. Research Objectives.
- This current study is a documentary research which focuses on data/research between 1992-2008. - Focused topics are classification, rehabilitation and follow-up on the released children and youths. Research Methodology.
Thailand Children and Youths Justice System The Justice System devided juvenile into 2 groups by age. - Children : 10-14 years old. - Youths : 15-18 years old.
. Step 1: Arresting by the Police. Step 2: Sending to Department of Juvenile Observation and Protection and sending to the remand home. Step 3: Inquiry on the background including the physical and mental check-up. Step 4: Court Trial. Step 5: Training Center / Rehabilitation Center. Step 6: Released. Children and Youths Criminal Process.
Children and Youths screening, classification and placement. - Research found that we need standardized and appropriate assessments for children and youths. The results.
- Tools and assessments used are not culturally appropriate with Thai Juvenile - We are short of highly trained professional such as social worker and clinical psychologists who can perform screening process and to place these kids in the best facility possible.
Children and Youths Rehabilitation. - The researches between 1992- 2008 study causes, factors and various offenses (types of offenses). - In 2002 alternative justice system being implement had important research design on the justice system - After 2002 The restorative justice for family to look after children and youths. - Many researches attempted to study the design and methods for appropriate approach in Thailand.
Follow-up of Children and Youths after released. - Need systematic follow-up assessment - In consistence in follow-up and assessment system for children and youths placement after the released. - The community to get involve with strength.
Recommendations on Justice System for Children and Youths Classification - Standard assessment on screening based on the policy in the same standard. Having a standard scale. - Improved tools and applying them. - Training staff to the expertise - Building staff to professionals.
Rehabilitation - Build a specific training center. - Improving training programs on a regular basis - Training personnel to have the ability to pass rehabilitation professional. - A participation of family, school and community in to control behavior, prevent recidivism.
Follow-up of Juvenile after released. - Evaluation of a monitoring system - Set up agencies are responsible only for monitoring after release - Prepare the family, school and community to take care children and youths after released.