Outline Simulation 1: Eating & Exercise Introduction What is Cholesterol? Why Cholesterol matters? Atherosclerosis Simulation 2: Algodoo Lab activity
Eat and Exercise Simulation http://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/eating-and- exercise http://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/eating-and- exercise
Facts about Cholesterol It may surprise you to know that cholesterol itself isn't bad. In fact, cholesterol is just one of the many substances created and used by our bodies to keep us healthy. Some of the cholesterol we need is produced naturally (and can be affected by your family health history), while some of it comes from the food we eat. There are two types of cholesterol: "good" and "bad." It's important to understand the difference, and to know the levels of "good" and "bad" cholesterol in your blood. Too much of one type — or not enough of another — can put you at risk for coronary heart disease, heart attack or stroke.
What is cholesterol? Cholesterol is a fatty substance, which is essential to healthy life. It is found in the brain, nervous tissue, skin and adrenal glands. It has three main functions within the body: It is used in the structure of all cell membranes It is used to manufacture hormones and vitamin D within the body It is used to produce bile acids which aid the digestion and absorption of fats in the diet. Cholesterol is made mainly in the liver but it is also present in saturated fat found in meat, dairy products, and many processed foods.
Cholesterol comes from two sources: your body and food. 75 % of blood cholesterol made by your liver and other cells in your body. The other 25 %comes from the foods you eat. Cholesterol is only found in animal products. A cholesterol screening measures your level of "good" and “bad”. Sources of Cholesterol
Good vs Bad Cholesterol can't dissolve in the blood. It has to be transported to and from the cells by carriers called lipoproteins. Low-density lipoprotein, or LDL, is known as "bad" cholesterol. High-density lipoprotein, or HDL, is known as "good" cholesterol. These two types of lipids, along with triglycerides and Lp(a) cholesterol, make up your total cholesterol count, which can be determined through a blood test.blood test
High-Density Lipoprotein (HDL) "good" cholesterol. They get their good name because they are thought to carry cholesterol away from the arteries to the liver, where the body can eliminate it. So it's better for your HDL to be higher. Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDL) "bad" cholesterol. You don't want too many low-density lipoproteins to build up in your arteries. form plaque, which can restrict blood flow to your heart or brain. That's why you want your LDL to be lower. Triglycerides (trigs) They're produced in the liver and also come from foods that you eat. High levels of trigs can contribute to the hardening and narrowing of arteries, making it harder for blood to flow. That's one reason why you want your trigs to be lower.
Why cholesterol matters? High cholesterol is one of the major controllable risk factors for coronary heart disease, heart attack and stroke. When too much LDL (bad) cholesterol circulates in the blood, it can slowly build up in the inner walls of the arteries that feed the heart and brain. Together with other substances, it can form plaque, a thick, hard deposit that can narrow the arteries and make them less flexible. This condition is known as atherosclerosis. If a clot forms and blocks a narrowed artery, a heart attack or stroke can result.atherosclerosis High blood cholesterol: As blood cholesterol rises, so does risk of coronary heart disease. When other risk factors (such as high blood pressure and tobacco smoke) are present, this risk increases. Your cholesterol level can be affected by your age, gender, family health history and diet.
Cholesterol and your arteries http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/Cholesterol_UCM_001089_SubHomePage.jsp
Cholesterol management Plan Eat healthy Diet Diets with too much saturated fat, trans fat, and cholesterol are causes of unhealthy cholesterol levels. Instead, choose a heart-healthy diet rich in: fruits and vegetables, whole grains, high- fiber foods, poultry (with the skin removed), lean meats and fish, fat-free or low-fat dairy products Get regular exercise Not being physically active contributes to being overweight and can raise bad cholesterol (LDL) and triglycerides and lower good cholesterol (HDL). Manage your weight Losing extra pounds may help lower your bad cholesterol and fatty triglycerides and raise your good cholesterol.