Preventing Accidents in the Kitchen:
Practice safe work habits Keep the kitchens clean Keep equipment in good condition
The Most Common Kitchen Accidents:
Cuts Burns Fires Falls Electrical shock Poisoning
Cuts….. What are some ways that you can cut yourself in the kitchen?
Knives, peelers, cans, broken glass
Preventing Cuts: When using a knife be responsible. Make sure you cut away from yourself and use appropriate knives for the types of food you are cutting. Wash knives separately, never place them in a sink of soapy water where someone could accidentally reach in and get cut.
Preventing Cuts: When opening cans use an opener and make sure you throw away the lid immediately. Sweep up broken glass with a broom (not your hands) and pick up any remaining pieces with a damp paper towel.
Burns…. What are some ways that burns can occur in the kitchen?
Not using oven mitts/pot holders, touching the oven racks or burner, steam, hot water
Preventing Burns: Always use dry oven mitts or pot holder.
Turn handles of pots and pans inwards so they will not be knocked. Be aware of steam and lift lids off pots away from yourself.
Fires… How do fires start in a kitchen?
Leaving food unattended, loose hair/clothing, placing things on the stovetop, hot grease
Preventing Fires: Always watch any food that is cooking on the stovetop or in the oven. Do not leave it unattended! Roll up your sleeves, tie your apron and make sure long hair is tied back.
Preventing Fires: Keep flammable materials away from the stove (towels, oven mitts, plastic, aerosol sprays etc.) Do not put metal in the microwave. Only plastic or glass. Also, do not start the microwave if there is nothing in it.
Grease Fires: Fats and oils are very flammable – keep equipment clean so grease does not build up. NEVER pour water on a grease fire – the grease will splatter. NEVER carry a burning pan to the sink – the grease could spill. Continued…..
Grease Fires Continued….
ALWAYS turn off the heat immediately. Use baking soda to put out flames on a grease fire, or put a cover on the pan to remove oxygen source. If necessary use a fire extinguisher. If you feel it is out of control alert others and call for help.
Falls…. What could cause someone to fall in a kitchen?
Slippery falls, obstructions on the floor
Preventing Falls: If you spill something on the floor clean it up immediately. If you drop something, pick it up. Make sure the work area is clear of any obstructions. Do not walk on wet floors.
Electrical Shocks….. Have you ever shocked yourself? How?
How can electrical shocks occur in the kitchen? Wet cords, faulty appliances
Using Electricity Wisely:
Never use an electrical appliance with wet hands. Keep cords away from the sink and stove. Never use an appliance with a damaged cord. Hold the plug not the cord when unplugging things. Never put objects like a fork into an appliance if it is plugged in.
Poisoning… Other than food poisoning how could someone be poisoned in a kitchen?
Poisons can enter the body through drinking, breathing, eating, or absorption through your skin. Many household chemicals are poisonous, including chemicals, pest control and even craft items. ALWAYS read labels carefully and follow the directions. Continued….
Preventing Poisoning Continued….
Old chemicals can become reactive. NEVER mix household cleansers as they can form a deadly gas. Store chemicals carefully. Get first aid or medical help if you suspect you may have been poisoned.
© 2023 SlidePlayer.com Inc.
All rights reserved.