How to Prepare a PowerPoint Presentation Center for Learning and Teaching Fall 2003 Binghamton University.
Published byModified over 6 years ago
Presentation on theme: "How to Prepare a PowerPoint Presentation Center for Learning and Teaching Fall 2003 Binghamton University."— Presentation transcript:
How to Prepare a PowerPoint Presentation Center for Learning and Teaching Fall 2003 Binghamton University
Contents 1. Getting started 2. Preparing a simple slide 3. Inserting and editing text 4. Inserting pictures and figures 5. Making a Table 6. Making a graph (chart) 7. Importing Data and Charts from Excel 8. Making action buttons 9. Adding animations 10. Organizing the presentation 11. Preparing handouts
1. Getting started Open Microsoft PowerPoint Open File, click on New Go to Blank Presentation, and click on Ok From the Auto Layout Menu, Click on the first slide (Title), and click Next Fill in Title and Presenter Information To Add a theme and color scheme to your presentation, click on the Format drop down menu and select Apply Design Theme Choose a Design Template, click Ok All of your slides will now have the same color and design theme
2. Preparing a simple slide (like this one) Go to Insert, and click on New Slide. Choose a layout (second one presented). Type in slide’s title and slide’s text in boxes indicated. To move box, use mouse to grab hash line (between little squares), and drag. To resize height, drag a square on a horizontal border. To resize width, drag a square on a vertical border. To resize box in proportion, drag a square on a corner. To add another text box, go to Insert, click on Text Box, then click and drag to create new box.
3. Inserting and editing text Go to Insert and choose Textbox from the drop down menu Click on the slide and drag out with the mouse, creating a box Type inside the box To move the box, click and drag a side of the box. To resize the box, click and drag a corner Change the font size/shape/color by highlighting the text, then right clicking the mouse. Use the options in the pop up menu to make your changes
4. Inserting pictures and figures To copy image from Internet to disk or hard drive: For PC, right-click mouse on Image, go to Save as, name image, Save to your disk or hard drive. For Mac, hold down Apple while clicking once on image, go to Save image as, name image, Save to your disk or hard drive. To insert image from File: Click on Insert, go to Picture, select From File. Locate image on drive or disk, and click Insert. To insert image from Clip Art: Click on Insert, go to Picture, select Clip Art. Choose image and click on Insert.
5. Making a Table Go to Insert, click on New Slide, and choose the Table slide showing table. Click OK. (On an existing slide, Go to Insert, click on Table ) Double click on table icon. Choose numbers of rows and columns, and add one to each for data labels. Select row or column, go to Table and click on Merge Cells for data labels. Major Sex BiologyPhysics Male200100 Female27525
6. Making a Graph (Chart) Click on Insert, then on Chart (or click on chart icon) Click on Datasheet, and fill in the headings and data Click on slide to return to slide with graph
Making another kind of graph from same set of data Go to slide of first graph. Go to Insert, and click on Duplicate Slide. On the duplicate slide, double click on graph, and notice that it overlies Datasheet with same data used for your first graph. Go to Chart, click on Chart type, select a new type. Click back on slide to finish. After you look at the graphs, delete slide(s) you don’t want.
7. Importing from Excel – Data as a resizable image On your Excel Spreadsheet, click and drag to select the range of cells you want to bring into PowerPoint. Copy it. IN POWERPOINT – Go to the Edit drop down menu, click on Paste Special. Choose Paste and Picture from the Pop Up Menu Right click on your data and choose Format Picture to change any colors
Importing From Excel – Data as an Excel Worksheet Object On your Excel Spreadsheet, click and drag to select the range of cells you want to bring into PowerPoint. Copy It. IN POWERPOINT – Go to the Edit drop down menu, click on Paste Special. Choose Paste and Microsoft Excel Worksheet Object from the Pop Up Menu Double click on your data to make changes, using Excel.
Use the Same Method to Import Charts from Excel
8. Making Action Buttons Go to Slide Show, click on Action Buttons, then click on Custom. Place cursor on slide where you want the button. Click and drag to produce a small square. The square is the button. Release the mouse. On pop-up menu that appears, choose hyperlink to another slide, or URL, or whatever Similarly install action button on hyperlinked slide so as to return to continuation of presentation.
9. Adding Animations (optional) Click on text box. Then click on Slide Show, then click on Custom Animation From the Effects tab choose animation style and sound effects. From the Order and Timing tab choose the order of the animations and mouse click or automatic timing. This is an example of an animation….
10. Organizing the Presentation Click on Slide Sorter View icon to see thumbnail versions of all the slides in your presentation. To remove a slide, highlight it by one click, and delete. To insert a new slide, click where you want to add it. Go to Insert, click on New Slide. To rearrange existing slides, click on and hold the slide you want to move. Drag and drop it in new location.
11. Preparing Handouts (optional) Go to File, click on Print. Change setting on drop-down menu from General to Microsoft PowerPoint. On the Print What drop-down menu, select your preference.
The End The Center for Learning and Teaching http://www.clt.binghamton.edu Technical Support Specialist Tera Doty CLT Interns Matt Dietz Pretema Latchman Andres Mok Wei Wang Joe Wong Special Thanks to: EngiNET Rich Hodges Department of Biological Sciences Dr Alan Haber