Samuel Cantell European Commission Delegation to Thailand 29 May 2008 EU-Thai Cooperation on Environment.
Published byModified over 7 years ago
Presentation on theme: "Samuel Cantell European Commission Delegation to Thailand 29 May 2008 EU-Thai Cooperation on Environment."— Presentation transcript:
Samuel Cantell European Commission Delegation to Thailand 29 May 2008 EU-Thai Cooperation on Environment
Financing instruments Regional, sub-regional & bilateral programmes Thematic Programmes: –Human and social development –Environment –Non-state actors in development –Food security –Migration and asylum
Thailand benefits from three types of funding 1.Global: Environment and Natural Resources including Energy Thematic Programme (ENRTP, Framework Programmes) 2.Regional: SWITCH-Asia Forest Law Enforcement, Governance and Trade (FLEGT) 3.Bilateral (Thailand): Thailand-EC cooperation Facility (TEC) Calls for Proposals Tenders Direct Agreements (Targeted Actions)
1. Global: ENRTP EC programme that aims to promote and support environmental protection and sustainable energy policies €804 m for the period 2007-2013. €470 m for the period 2007-2010, including €85.5 million for two new initiatives related to climate change and renewable energy CfP launched end of 2007, deadline of CN on 21/02/2008 (budget of € 59.2 m for 2007-2008)
1. Global: ENRTP (con’t) Strategy for 2007-2010 is based on five priorities: Assisting developing countries to make better progress on integrating environmental sustainability in decision making Promoting implementation of Community initiatives and agreed commitments (including those under Multilateral Environmental Agreements) Improving environmental integration and promoting coherence in EU policies affecting third countries Promoting EU environmental policies Promoting EU energy policies abroad
1. Global: Framework Programme 7 (FP7) a 7 year programme (2007-2013), € 54 billion : Cooperation programme (2/3 of budget) fosters collaborative research across Europe and other partner countries through projects by transnational consortia of industry and academia Research will be carried out in 10 key thematic areas, including Environment (as well as climate change).
1. Global: FP7 (cont’d) Funding Schemes: Collaborative projects Networks of excellence Coordination and support actions Individual projects Research for the benefit of specific groups – in particular SMEs EC Funding: 50-75% National Contact Point (NCP - established in every EU MS and in countries associated with FP7, list of NCP addresses at www.cordis.europa.eu/fp7/get-support_en.html ): to provide advice to potential applicants for EU research funding www.cordis.europa.eu/fp7/get-support_en.html
2. Regional: SWITCH The overall programme objective : To promote economic prosperity and poverty reduction in Asian countries, through sustainable growth with reduced environmental impact by industries and consumers, in line with international environmental agreements and processes, and to support the mitigation of Climate Change.
2. Regional: SWITCH (cont’d) €90 Million for the period 2007-2010 2 focal areas, namely: –Sustainable Production (technical innovation, supply chain management, CSR etc) –Sustainable Consumption (Green Procurement, Marketing strategies, Code of conduct etc)
2. Regional: SWITCH (cont’d) 1 st Call for proposal was published end of 2007 and is currently on-going (€23 million) Projects will be selected and contracted before the end of 2008 Networking Facility will ensure: –Dissemination of results –Enhanced policy dialogue –Address Asian SCP priorities in the international agenda 2 nd Call for proposal anticipated to be published in 4 th Quarter of 2008 (€23 million)
2. Regional: FLEGT EC contribution: €6 million Project envisaged to start in 2008 Objectives: –Information relevant for FLEGT collected, analysed and disseminated at both national and regional levels –Forest governance improved through Institutional Strengthening –Combating trade of illegal timber
3.Bilateral: Thailand-EC Cooperation Facility (TEC) deepening the Thai-EC relationship in areas of strategic importance and interest addressing specific capacity constraints crucial to advancing Thailand's national development agenda advancing co-operation on a more modern agenda (e.g. justice and home affairs issues, good governance and human rights) increasing awareness between Europe and Thailand €8 million for 2007-2010
3.Bilateral: TEC (cont’d) AAP 2007; €3,5 million 1 st CfP launched in Oct 2007 (contracted in 2008): promoting civil society dialogue and facilitating interactions in: - Trade and Investment, integration into the regional an world economy (€ 1 200 000) - Science and Technology, research and higher education (€ 700,000) -Energy and Environment (€ 700 000) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Ad hoc activities (€ 750 000)
3.Bilateral: TEC (cont’d) Lot 3: Energy and Environment : Capacity building for: –Environmental integration –Policy analysis –Implementing obligations and commitments under global or regional environmental conventions, initiatives and processes –Strengthening natural resources research and management Contribution to Multilateral Environmental Agreements implementation, for example: UNFCCC, Basel Convention etc. €700 000 for 2008 Projects under selection (anticipated to support 3-4 projects)
3.Bilateral: TEC (cont’d) AAP 2009; 4,5 million Tentative Timeline: Identification/Formulation: starting now AAP / Decision: Q2/Q3 2009 CfP Published: Q4 2009 Deadline of CfP: Q1 2010 Contract award and contracting: Q2/Q3 2010 Specific areas of Cooperation – in line with SP and MIP and draft PCA with Thailand.
More information ENRTP: http://ec.europa.eu/europeaid/where/worldwide/environm ent/index_en.htm http://ec.europa.eu/europeaid/where/worldwide/environm ent/index_en.htm FP 7: www.cordis.europa.eu/fp7/ www.cordis.europa.eu/fp7/ www.ec.europa.eu/research/fp7/ NCP: www.cordis.europa.eu/fp7/get-support_en.htmlwww.cordis.europa.eu/fp7/get-support_en.html SWITCH: http://ec.europa.eu/europeaid/where/asia/regional- cooperation/environment/switch_en.htm TEC: http://www.deltha.ec.europa.eu/home.htmhttp://www.deltha.ec.europa.eu/home.htm PADOR: http://ec.europa.eu/europeaid/onlineservices/pador http://ec.europa.eu/europeaid/onlineservices/pador Thank you