We think you have liked this presentation. If you wish to download it, please recommend it to your friends in any social system. Share buttons are a little bit lower. Thank you!
Presentation is loading. Please wait.
Modified over 6 years ago
How is weather predicted? D18-23 V. Martinez
1. Meteorologist A meteorologist is a scientist who studies and measures weather conditions.
2. Thermometer A thermometer measures the temperature of the air.
3. barometer A barometer measures air pressure.
4. anemometer An anemometer is used to measure wind speed.
5. Weather Vane A weather vane or wind sock is used to measure wind direction.
6. hygrometer A hygrometer measures moisture in the air or the humidity.
7. Humidity Humidity is the amount of water vapor in the air.
8. Land heats faster than bodies of water. So the air above land is usually warmer.
9. What affects humidity? 1. The area over which an air mass forms: An air mass over water has more water than an air mass over land. 2. Temperature: Warm air has more moisture than cool air.
10. Scientists record weather information to predict changes in weather.
11. Small vertical dashes on a weather map stand for rain.
12. Small stars on a weather map stand for snow.
13. Rain falls from clouds when water droplets in the clouds become big and heavy.
14. On the barometer, when air pressure drops, the air in the jar expands and pushes up against the balloon, causing the craft stick to point downward.
15. On the barometer, when air pressure rises, the air surrounding the jar pushes down on the balloon, which causes the craft stick to point up.
Weather Instruments These instruments are vital for collecting weather data. You will be tested on identification and function.
Mrs. Horn 5 th Grade Science 3 rd Nine Weeks. Temperature Meteorologist- scientist who studies weather Thermometer- measures air temperature and tells.
Weather Tools What are they? What do they do?. The Most Common Weather Tools Are: Thermometer Wind Vane Anemometer Barometer Rain Gauge.
Weather Cathcart 6 th grade science. What is weather? Weather is the condition of the atmosphere at a certain time and place.
Air Pressure and Wind Chapter 10, Lesson 6 wind convection cells
Weather Reviewing the Big Ideas. Q: What affects the amount of water vapor the air can hold? A: The temperature of the air! –Warm air can hold more water.
Influences on Weather. EQ: What has an effect on the weather?
Scientist use tools to measure the weather. Tools to measure the weather Tools to tell how warm the air is. Tools to tell how fast the wind is blowing.
Today’s Weather is brought to you by Westly Whithers
Weather Instruments. Thermometer What does it do? What does it do? It measures the air temperature It measures the air temperature.
Unit 4 Weather Lesson 3 How is Weather Predicted?.
Weather Instruments Can you name any instruments or tools used to predict or describe weather?
Are You Smarter Than a 4 th Grader? Are You Smarter Than a 4 th Grader? Weather 1,000,000 5th Grade Topic 1 5th Grade Topic 2 4th Grade Topic 3 4th Grade.
WEATHER UNIT REVIEW By Susan Dennison 4 th Grade Teacher, Aldie Elementary.
Measuring Weather Conditions. Weather and Climate Click the photo below to get acquainted with weather and climate.
Think About This… In your science journal, think about the following question: – What are some things that meteorologists look at to collect data?
Weather The amount that air presses on the earth is called… Air pressure.
What are they? What do they do?
LETS MEASURE WEATHER!. Meteorology The study of weather Meteorologists are scientists who study meteorology on a daily basis.
© 2021 SlidePlayer.com Inc. All rights reserved.