Presentation on theme: "Middle East History Test Review. 1. Persian Gulf War 1990-1991 (1) CAUSE: (5) After Iraq invaded the oil-rich country of Kuwait in 1991, a military force."— Presentation transcript:
1. Persian Gulf War 1990-1991 (1) CAUSE: (5) After Iraq invaded the oil-rich country of Kuwait in 1991, a military force led primarily by the United States liberated Kuwait from Iraq. OUTCOME: (9) After 100 hours of fighting, Iraq surrendered. Iraq’s absolute ruler, Saddam Hussein, stayed in power.
3. Afghanistan 2001-now (3) CAUSE (7) After the 9/11 terrorist attacks, the US military sent troops there to find the leader of a al-Qaeda, Osama bin Laden. OUTCOME: (11) US troops defeated the Taliban Set up a democratic government
4. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2003- 2011 (4) CAUSE: (8) Led by the United States in 2003 to stop the development of weapons of mass destruction (primarily nuclear weapons). OUTCOME: (12) Saddam Hussein was removed from power. Iraq army was defeated US and its partners rebuilding government
13. Who was the leader of Iraq during the Persian Gulf and Iraq War? Saddam Hussein B Remained in power as a dictator C Tried and convicted as a war criminal and executed
14. Who was responsible for the September 11 th attacks Osama bin Laden Al Queda
19. Anti-Semitism Hatred of Jews simply because of their faith. Being Jewish can be considered both a religion and an ethnicity. The Nazi’s wanted to exterminate the Jews and establish the Arian race as the supreme race.
20. Diaspora Scattering of Jews throughout the world
21. Holocaust A time when over 6 million Jews were systematically killed in concentration camps set up by Nazi Germany Many Jews wanted to flee Europe before and during WWII.
22. Ottoman Empire Lasted from 1299-1922 An Empire controlling much of the Middle East from 1299 to the end of WWI. Due to losing the war, the Middle East was partitioned up by the winning European countries
23. Palestinians a group of Arab Muslims living mostly in the Gaza Strip and West Bank; forced out of their land by the Jewish Israelis
24. Zionism A movement to bring the world’s Jews back home to Zion (Israel). After WWI, the Jews were displaced and without a country to call home. This movement contributed to the founding of the country of Israel in 1948.
26. List reasons for the creation of Israel a. International Support b. Diaspora = Jews are forced out of the land and they want to go back c. Promised Land - Jews believe the land belongs to them, not the Palestinians d. anti-Semitism = Jews are treated badly in other parts of the world so they want to get away from it e. holocaust - Many Jews are homeless and need a safe place to live, like Israel
27. Put these events in order WWI -1914 Britain and France claim the land of the former Ottoman Empire- 1920 Holocaust leaves many Jews homeless- 1945 Jews declare Israel an Independent State- 1948
28. Describe the problem the partitioning caused Europeans drew borders that created “stateless nations” by combining different ethnic and religious groups who fought for control over the land in order to create their own nation (ex. Palestinians & Kurds).
29. Describe the relationship between Arabs and Israelis in Palestine The Palestinians and Israelis still fight violently over disputed land