We think you have liked this presentation. If you wish to download it, please recommend it to your friends in any social system. Share buttons are a little bit lower. Thank you!
Presentation is loading. Please wait.
supports HTML5 video
Published byRonald Chapman
Modified over 6 years ago
1. What is the key to effective integrated pest management?Regular monitoring of plants
2. What is the first control method that should be used?Something non-chemical
3. What is the next method that should be used?Biological Control
4. What is the last control method that should be used?Chemicals
5. What is Integrated Pest Management (IPM)?Using a variety of control methods.
6. What is biological control?Using natural enemies to control pests.
7. List four examples of biological control.Bacteria Fungi Insects Birds Etc.
8. How many offspring can a single aphid produce in one month?318 Million
9. How does the Braconid Wasp kill aphids?Lays eggs in aphid. Larvae eat the aphid and kill it.
Inserting eggs into aphid
less problems with pests?10. Why did the smaller farms during the first half of the 20th century have less problems with pests? Natural predators controlled pests
common name for this insect?11. Coccinella septempunctata is an insect that helps control aphids. What is the common name for this insect? European Seven Spotted Lady Beetle
12. What is the name of the bacteria that has been used to control the Gypsy moth?Bacillus thuringiensis
13. How does the Braconid wasp kill the Tomato Hornworm?Lays eggs on the hornworm, larvae eat the hornworm.
14. How does the tiny stingless wasp, Pediobius faviolatus, kill the Mexican Bean Beetle?Lays eggs inside the bean beetle larva.
15. How does the natural pesticide, Bacillus thuringiensis, kill insects pests?Upsets their digestive tract, causes starvation.
16. List five examples of how biological controls work.Plant resistant to pest Chemicals in the plant repel the pest Insect parasitizes the pest Eats the pest Competes for food sources
17. What does VFN resistant mean?Plants resistant to – Verticilium wilt Fusarium wilt Nematodes
18. Why is the Rhododendron Mist Maiden plant resistant to insect damage?Thick layer of hair under the leaves. Also called pubescence
19. How does the Brimmer Tomato deter the tomato fruit worm?Has a thick skin
20. What is an endophyte? Organism that lives inside plants without harming them. Fungi inside plant cell
21. How can Basil be used as a pest control agent?Acts as a repellant
22. How can Big Sagebrush be used as a pest control agent?Prevents the Colorado Potato Beetle from feeding
Assassin bug nymph feeding on a Colorado potato beetle larva
23. How can Chilcuan be used as a pest control agent?Use root extracts to control pests.
24. How can Mamey be used as a pest control agent?Can use flowers, fruits, and leaves to control pests.
25. How can Calamus be used as a pest control agent?Use as an insect repellant in stored grains.
26. How can the Neem Tree be used as a pest control agent?Extracts from Neem seeds are a good insect repellant.
27. Why is knowledge of a pest’s life cycle important for controlling the pest?There are times in the pests life cycle when they are easier to control.
28. What is crop rotation? Planting different crops each year.
29. How does crop rotation help control pests?Pests of certain crops will die off if different crops are grown.
30. How much money is lost each year due to plant diseases?$4 Billion
31. Can orange peel be used to control pests? If so, what kinds?Yes – Ants, Fleas
32. What is Allelopathy? Plants that secrete chemicals that inhibit root growth or seed germination of other plants. Garlic Mustard Plant Black Walnut Tree
Pests and Diseases 28.00: Examine distinguishing characteristics of pests so as to determine best management practices : Compare methods of control.
Essential Standard Compare distinguishing chrematistics of pest.
Integrated Pest Management. What is Integrated Pest Management? Define biological control. List 3 insects that have been controlled without man-made chemicals.
Pests and Disease Save the Veggie.
HORT325: Vegetable Crop Production
Agronomy CDE Insect Identification. Choose the correct answer A. Flea Beetle B. Spider mite C. Aphid D. Lygus Click to see correct answer.
IPM Overview Smart pest control tactics you can use.
Integrated Pest Management. IPM is an approach on pest management. It is environmentally sensitive and is effective. IPM has the advantage to most.
Corn and Soybean Bugs …or things that eat your dinner before you get to.
Chapter 3 Life Cycles.
Research Journal Entry All images are a part of the Creative Commons license of free use.
Insect Management for Organic Farms Kim Stoner CT Agricultural Experiment Station June 2005 Organic Agriculture PDP Training.
Identifying Diseases and Pests of Forest Trees. Next Generation Science / Common Core Standards Addressed! RST.11 ‐ 12.7 Integrate and evaluate multiple.
Chapter 2 Section 3.
The Good Bug Patrol Not all bugs you find in your garden should make you frown. Some bugs are beneficial (good) for your plants. Here are some of the.
Integrated Pest Management February 19,2008. What is a Pest? Insect, disease, or pathogen Insect, disease, or pathogen May be situational May be situational.
Principles of Pest Control
Integrated Pest Management. What pests are we talking about? ▸ Weeds ▸ Insects ▸ Disease ▸ Rodents ▸ Birds ▸ Many others.
Agricultural Entomology. What is Agriculture? The cultivation of plants/animals for Human Use Includes plants used for : Food (Fruits, vegetables, grains.
© 2021 SlidePlayer.com Inc. All rights reserved.