Isaiah 2-4 and 9-11 A. God’s Future Kingdom Produces Trust. 2:1-5 B. The Removal Of Pride And Exaltation Of God. 2:6-22 B. 2 The Removal Of Judah’s Male Leaders. 3:1-15 B. 3 The Removal Of Judah’s Proud Women. 3:16-4:1 A. 2 God’s Glorious Holy Kingdom. 4:2-6 A. The Reign Of A Righteous King. 9:1-7 B. The Judgment Of Proud And Sinful Israel. 9:8-10:4 B. 2 The Judgment Of Proud Assyria. 10:5-34 A. 2 The Reign Of A Righteous King. 11:1-16
1. HE IS THE REVELATION OF GOD TO THOSE WHO HAVEN’T TRULY KNOWN GOD. 9:1-2
“But there will be no gloom for her who was in anguish. In the former time he brought into contempt the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, but in the latter time he has made glorious the way of the sea, the land beyond the Jordan, Galilee of the nations. 2 The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness, on them has light shined.”
2. HE WILL BE THE SOURCE OF VICTORY …SO THEY CAN EXPERIENCE FRUIT- FULNESS. 9:3-5
“You have multiplied the nation; you have increased its joy; they rejoice before you as with joy at the harvest, as they are glad when they divide the spoil. 4 For the yoke of his burden, and the staff for his shoulder, the rod of his oppressor, you have broken…. 5 For every boot of the tramping warrior in battle tumult and every garment rolled in blood will be burned as fuel….”
The responsibility of government will be his responsibility. 6b “And the government shall be upon his shoulder”
4. HE IS THE EVERLASTING KING. 6b- 7 He will give divine awe-inspiring counsel. 6b “And his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor.”
4. HE IS THE EVERLASTING KING. 6b- 7 He will be called mighty hero-God. 6c “And his name shall be called…Mighty God.”
4. HE IS THE EVERLASTING KING. 6b- 7 He will be the eternal provider and protector. 6d ““And his name shall be called… Everlasting Father.”
4. HE IS THE EVERLASTING KING. 6b- 7 He will be bring peace with God and others. 6e “His name shall be called…Prince of Peace.”
4. HE IS THE EVERLASTING KING. 6b- 7 F. His kingdom will be eternal. 7 “Of the increase of his government and of peace there will be no end, on the throne of David and over his kingdom, to establish it and to uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time forth and forevermore. The zeal of the L ORD of hosts will do this.”
Fruitful and long-ago prophesied. 1 “There shall come forth a shoot from the stump of Jesse, and a branch from his roots shall bear fruit.”
5. HE WILL HAVE A UNIQUE KINGDOM. 11:1-16 Totally Spirit-led. 2 “And the Spirit of the L ORD shall rest upon him, the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and might, the Spirit of knowledge and the fear of the L ORD.
5. HE WILL HAVE A UNIQUE KINGDOM. 11:1-16 Fear-directed and righteous. 3-5 “[By his delighting in the fear of the LORD, he shall not] judge by what his eyes see, or decide disputes by what his ears hear, but with righteousness he shall judge the poor, and decide with equity for the meek of the earth; and he shall strike the earth with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips he shall kill the wicked. Righteousness shall be the belt of his waist, and faithfulness the belt of his loins.
5. HE WILL HAVE A UNIQUE KINGDOM. 11:1-16 Fully Earth-Transforming. 6-9 The wolf shall dwell with the lamb…and a little child shall lead them. 7 The cow and the bear shall graze; their young shall lie down together; and the lion shall eat straw like the ox. 8 The nursing child shall play over the hole of the cobra…. 9 They shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain; for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the L ORD as the waters cover the sea.”
5. HE WILL HAVE A UNIQUE KINGDOM. 11:1-16 People-Reconciling In A New Exodus. 11-16 Summary: Jews and Gentiles will be part of the people of God in the started and completed kingdom.
5. HE WILL HAVE A UNIQUE KINGDOM. 11:1-16 People-Reconciling In A New Exodus. 11-16 Thabiti Anyabwile:Common origin and common union (which leads to our common end) challenges our views on race.