Presentation on theme: "5/5/2014. 1.This piece is titled the Night’s Watch. a. True b. False 2.Rembrandt placed himself in the painting. a. True b. False 3.The militiamen who."— Presentation transcript:
1.This piece is titled the Night’s Watch. a. True b. False 2.Rembrandt placed himself in the painting. a. True b. False 3.The militiamen who paid for the portrait where upset with the results. a. True b. False 4.This isn’t the first group portrait where the figures come out into space. a. True b. False 5.This is Rembrandt’s first great work. a. True b. False 6.This is Rembrandt’s greatest work. a. True b. False
7. Dutch Golden Age 8. Dramatic Light 9. Rembrandt 10. Vermeer A. A Dutch painter who used a great deal of light. He enjoyed painting people doing everyday things. B. Use of strong light source near the subject to create strong shadows and highlights. C. Dutch painter, who painted portraits of wealthy middle-class merchants and used sharp contrasts of light and shadow to draw attention to his focus D. A period of Dutch History 1600s in which The Dutch Republic dominated world trade and used that wealth to become the world's center for arts and sciences. However, they were a seafaring power, NOT a military power. France will emerge in this era as the dominant military power.
11. Genre Painting 12. Foreshortening 13. Chiaroscuro 14. Portrait A. The use of perspective to represent in art the apparent visual contraction of an object that extends back in space at an angle to the perpendicular plane of sight. B. In drawing or painting, the treatment and use of light and dark, especially the gradations of light that produce the effect of modeling C. Painting in which scenes of everyday life are depicted D. A painting of a person's face
15. Rembrandt’s last name is the river he grew by. 16. His artwork changed after his first wife's death. 17. He is considered the greatest portrait painter in history. 18. His first great artwork was the Night’s Watch. 19. His greatest piece was the painting Artist’s Studio. 20. Rembrandt painted textures extremely well. 21. Many of Rembrandt’s techniques in oil painting are still used today. 22. Rembrandt painted so many self portraits because he was very vain. 23. Rembrandt had one son survive past childhood. 24. Rembrandt was always considered a master artist in Amsterdam. 25. Rembrandt was a printmaker and painter.
26. What is the title of this painting? a. Night’s Watch b. Artist’s Studio c. Anatomy Lesson d. None of the above 27. This is a group portrait. a. True b. False
28. What is the title of this painting? a. Night’s Watch b. Anatomy Lesson c. Artist in his Studio d. None of the above 29. The subject is painting. a. True b. False 30. This is one of Rembrandt’s first masterpieces. a. True b. False