The coat of arms of Aleksandrów Łódzki The flag of Aleksandrów Łódzki
Aleksandrów Łódzki Country – Poland Voivodship – Łódź County - Zgierz county Commune – Aleksandrów Łódzki Population (2004) – 20,324 Aleksandrów Łódzki Country – Poland Voivodship – Łódź County - Zgierz county Commune – Aleksandrów Łódzki Population (2004) – 20,324
Polish nobleman Rafał Bratoszewski coat of arms Sulima – the founder of Aleksandrów Łódzki The village was founded in 1816 by Rafał Bratoszewski, the owner of an estate Brużyca Wielka situated on the Bzura river. By 1820 the population reached more than 1,000. In 1822 the new settlement gained the city rights and was named Aleksandrów after the Russian tsar Alexander I. From the beginnig Aleksandrów was a town of three cultures: Polish, German and Jewish. In the late 19th century and early 20th century a lot of knitting companies were founded in Aleksandrów. The town gained a nickname Sock-city. In 1969 Aleksandrów lost its city rights for over 60 years. The rights were regained in 1924. Currently it is a headquarters of an Aleksandrów Łódzki commune.
Classical Town Hall from 1824 designed by Jakub Kubicki, the author of the Warsaw Belweder
St. Rafael and Michael catholic church - built in 1816 – 1818. Under the church, lies buried Rafał Bratoszewski, the founder of Aleksandrów. Evangelic church – built in 1828 by pastor Fryderyk Jerzy Tuve. Currently it is in very bad condition.
Weaver houses – long wooden houses of the first settlers from the first half of the XIX century
The City Shops Jatki - rebiult in 1998, a place for butchers and bakers to sell their goods; now part of the Town Hall
Albert Stillers villa and factory - built in 1908
Tadeusz Kościuszkos Square - the city park - founded by Rafał Bratoszewski as the centre of the new factory settlement in 1824 Tadeusz Kościuszkos Square - the city park - founded by Rafał Bratoszewski as the centre of the new factory settlement in 1824
The library - originally the house of pastor built in 1848
The Józef Jaworski Group of Sports Schools and covered swimming pool Olimpijczyk