Agenda 1. Tasks 2. System Overview 3. Oracle DB System 4. Database Monitoring 5. Database Security 6. Performance and Tuning 7. Backup and Recovery 8. Literature 9. Questions
1. Tasks Installation, configuration, upgrading and patching of Oracle software Creation and maintenance databases and their objects Establishment and maintenance backup and recovery policies and procedures Implementation and maintenance database security Performance and tuning of databases Plan growth and changes (capacity planning) Give consultation to development teams Interface with Oracle Corporation for technical support.
2. System Overview Backup Server (Legato Networker) Backup Devices Application Server (Apache Tomcat v4.0.1) Web Server User Oracle Database Server (Oracle RDBMS 22.214.171.124.0) JDBC AEDEV AETEST AEPUB AECUR AEDWD AECLONE AEDWP =ArrayExpress Development =ArrayExpress Test =ArrayExpress Public =ArrayExpress Curation =ArrayExpress Data Warehouse Development =ArrayExpress Data Warehouse Public =Copy of the ArrayExpress Public database SQL*Net RMAN
3. Oracle DB System Oracle Software –SQL*Plus –Svrmgrl –Exp/Imp –SQL*Loader –RMAN –Etc.. DB Structure
3. Oracle DB System (continued) DB Structure –Instance Background Processes –DBWR = database writer –LGWR = log writer –PMON = process monitor –SMON = session monitor, etc. System Global Area (SGA) –Database Buffer Cache –Shared Pool Area »Dictionary Cache »Library Cache –Redo Log Buffer –Processes User Process Server Process –Database (Database Files, Database Objects)
3. Oracle DB System (continued) –Oracle DB Objects Tablespaces Rollback Segments Tables Indexes Constraints Sequences Synonyms, etc.. –Oracle DB Files Data Files Redo Log Files Control Files Init.ora File Archive Log Files Log and Trace Files Audit Files, etc..
3. Oracle DB System (continued) LRULRU Dirty System Global Area (SGA) Database Buffer Cache Shared Pool Area Dictionary Cache Library Cache Redo Log Buffer SMON PMON RECO LCK0 DBWRCKPTLGWRARC0 Redo Log FilesData FilesControl Files Dedicated Server Process User Process Archived Redo Log Files Init.ora
4. Database Monitoring All Instances are up Any new alert log entries Success of DB backup Free space in tablespaces User activities Blocking processes Invalid Objects Objects that break rules Fragmentation Security Policy Violations, etc..
5. Database Security Access on DB –Username and Password –Profiles Access on DB Objects –Roles –Privileges System Privileges Object Privileges Auditing - Statement Auditing - Privilege Auditing - Object Auditing
6. Performance and Tuning Application Database 60% of database performance problems are caused by applications
6. Performance and Tuning (continued) Application Tuning –SQL Tuning Database Tuning –Tuning Memory Usage Tuning the Shared Pool Tuning the Data Buffer Cache Tuning Redo Log Buffer –Tuning Disk Utilization I/O Distribution Detecting I/O Problems Using Locally Managed Tablespaces Tuning Rollback Segments Tuning Sorts
7. Backup and Recovery (continued) Backup –Why Backups? Mistakes by –Hardware –Oracle –User, Programmer, DBA –Type of Backups Physical Backup with or without RMAN –Online (Hot) Backup –Offline (Cold) Backup Logical Backup Using Export
7. Backup and Recovery (continued) Recovery –Type of Recovery Instance Recovery Media Recovery –Recovery Methods Recovery with Physical Backups Recovery with Logical Backups Import
8. Literature http://www.oracle.com/ Oracle Companyhttp://www.oracle.com/ http://otn.oracle.com/software/content.html Oracle Technology Network > Softwarehttp://otn.oracle.com/software/content.html http://technet.oracle.com/ The technical sites of Oraclehttp://technet.oracle.com/ http://metalink.oracle.com/ The Oracle Metalinkhttp://metalink.oracle.com/ http://education.oracle.com/ The Oracle Company: Educationhttp://education.oracle.com/ http://www.oracle.com/download The Oracle Company: Download Productshttp://www.oracle.com/download http://oracle-ftp.oracle.com/ The Oracle Company: Patch Setshttp://oracle-ftp.oracle.com/ http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/~ahmet/ My Home pagehttp://industry.ebi.ac.uk/~ahmet/