Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

19, February, 2010 Sung Sook Kim( ) Paichai University ( ) APEC-Tsukuba International conference APEC-Tsukuba International conference.

Similar presentations

Presentation on theme: "19, February, 2010 Sung Sook Kim( ) Paichai University ( ) APEC-Tsukuba International conference APEC-Tsukuba International conference."— Presentation transcript:

1 19, February, 2010 Sung Sook Kim( ) Paichai University ( ) APEC-Tsukuba International conference APEC-Tsukuba International conference


3 How do curriculum, lesson and assessments relate? How can we improve the relations?

4 Ranks comparisons Overall vs favourites in 2003 (PISA) Ranks comparisons Overall vs favourites in 2003 (PISA) Rank on all items Rank on own most appropriate items Rank on favourites higher than overall rank Rank on favourites lower than overall rank Korea 3 rd overall 9 th on favourites

5 To understand the basic mathematical concepts, principles and their relationship through observing everyday phenomena from a mathematical perspective. To observe, analyze, organize, think and solve diverse problems in everyday situations by applying mathematical knowledge and functions. The Goals of Mathematics education in the 7 th National Curriculum

6 In December, 2009, the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (MEST) in Korea announced some changes in the 7 th National Curriculum. New assessment guidelines were included

7 Education that builds students sound character and releases their creativity Creativity and character building Key Policy Tasks for 2010

8 Increase subject instruction related to creativity and sound character building Introduce creative experience activities Improve student evaluation

9 The focus of education will be on helping students self-identify their potential and release creativity rather than simply delivering knowledge and information.

10 For primary and secondary students, MEST will reduce the number of subject matters and instead increase contents related to character building and creativity in the core subjects such as Math.

11 As part of the regular school curriculum, creative hands-on experience activities will be provided three hours per week for primary and middle school students and four hours per week for high school students.

12 what to assess

13 Teacher will assess the creativity development of students. School records will include such students various experience-based extra-curricular activities which may later be utilized as information for university admission.

14 whom to assess

15 MEST will expand the teacher evaluation system to all schools nationwide in March 2010 Offer customized training programs for teachers upon evaluation results. The teacher training programs of universities of education will be evaluated, results of which will be tied to administrative and financial compensation.

16 The Preference for Teaching Career is Very High The Social Recognition The Job Security The Economic Benefits

17 Teachers Employment Test Preliminary Test Preliminary Test Content Percentage of items Item type Relevant knowledge Education in general30% Multiple choice items General pedagogical knowledge Mathematics (including Probability and Statistics, Linear Algebra, Complex Analysis, etc.) 50% Multiple choice items Subject matter knowledge Mathematical Education (Theory of Mathematics Education) 20% Multiple choice items Pedagogical content knowledge

18 Second Test Essay test

19 Third Test teaching practice

20 NAEA is a nationwide test that is implemented to evaluate elementary and secondary school students' achievements

21 NAEA serves as a regular indicator of performance of the educational system.

22 The ministry will regularly analyze results of the National Assessment of Educational Achievement(NAEA), so as to better understand which factors impact academic ability and assist school efforts to raise student performance levels.

23 For schools that show yearly improvement of academic performance, the ministry will provide financial support and grant increased principal rights to operate school.

24 For students that lack basic academic competency as revealed in the NAEA, schools are to provide accurate diagnosis tools, level-differentiated supplementary programs and devices to measure their degree of improvement.

25 In 1998, the Korea Institute of Curriculum & Evaluation (KICE) established a fundamental plan for the NAEA.

26 In 1999, KICE had chosen the NAEA as its major task. It planned to develop test items for Social Studies and Mathematics.

27 In 2001, the NAEA was administered to 1% of the population of the sixth, ninth, 10th and 11 th grades in five subjects such as Korean, Social Studies, Mathematics, Science and English

28 Subjects and the scope of the NAEA 2003


30 Analysis of NAEA 2008

31 Middle School(grade 9)

32 High school(grade 10)

33 Gender difference ?

34 Elementary school(Grade 6)

35 Middle school(grade 9)


37 Area difference ?

38 Elementary school(Grade 6)

39 Middle school(grade 9)

40 High school(grade 10)

41 The school, teacher, and student variables were obtained from three types of questionnaires: school-administrator Teacher student. Background variables

42 the scores of private schools were higher in all the five subjects compared to public schools

43 High schools which emphasized on college entrance and development of creativity had the highest test performance.

44 When school administrators perceived their teachers having the following attitude

45 enthusiasm for teaching good understanding of students high expectations for the students good relationship with other teachers students performed well in all subjects

46 The more time students spend on communicating with their parents, and the longer hours students spent on self-study and supplementary lessons after school, the higher their achievement score.

47 the higher the students self-regulated learning, the higher their achievement.

48 The College Scholastic Ability Test

49 The third Thursday of November every year Test period


51 Mathematics A : 121,828 (23%) Mathematics B : 397,772 (77%) Total : 519,600 Number of students



54 Electives of Math A type

55 Number of Items and Testing Time

56 Maximum Raw Score :100 Standard score for Mathematics mean of 100 standard deviation of 20 standard score ranges from 0 to 200.

57 The standard score is Where: z=(x- μ )/ σ x is a raw score to be standardized. μ is the mean of the population. σ is the standard of the population. The quantity z represents the distance between the raw score and the population mean in units of the standard deviation. z is negative when the raw score is below the mean, positive when above



60 Gender difference ?

61 There is a substantial gender difference in the College Scholastic Ability Test in Korea. Especially, mathematics is the area that students have shown the large gender gap compared to other subject. Female students lack mathematical achievement compared to male students in Korea.

62 Gender difference











73 problem 26 through 30 are for students who chose Calculus as their elective





78 problem 26 through 30 are for students who chose Probability and Statistics as their elective




82 problem 26 through 30 are for students who chose Discrete mathematics as their elective





87 Concluding remarks

88 How do CSAT, teaching & learning and assessments relate?


90 Thank you very much for your attention!.

91 See you again at ICMI-12

Download ppt "19, February, 2010 Sung Sook Kim( ) Paichai University ( ) APEC-Tsukuba International conference APEC-Tsukuba International conference."

Similar presentations

Ads by Google