Presentation on theme: "1. whoever = anyone who whomever = anyone whom whosever = anyone whose whatever = anything that whichever = any/either one of them that 2. Not until +"— Presentation transcript:
1. whoever = anyone who whomever = anyone whom whosever = anyone whose whatever = anything that whichever = any/either one of them that 2. Not until + S 1 + V 1... + Aux/be + S 2 + V 2.... Grammar in Use
Examples: 1. They have stated that whoever (= anyone who) was born first in a family usually developed leadership tendencies early in life.
2. You can give the flower to whomever (= anyone whom) you like. 3. Andy is willing to do whatever (= anything that) his girlfriend asks him to do. Examples:
A. 1. (anyone who) spread the rumor is not welcome here. 2. Please give the book to __________ (anyone whose) name it has on it. Whoever whosever
3. We have to prepare ___________ (anything that) is needed for the picnic. 4. Here are some fashion magazines; you can take ___________ (any one of them that) you like. whatever whichever
5. Jason will give the free samples to ___________ (anyone whom) he meets on the street. whomever
B. Sandy is going to throw a party to celebrate her seventeenth birthday. As the host, she will send an invitation card to 1 she likes, and 2 responds to the invitation will be able to attend her party. whomever whoever
At the party, she will prepare lots of food and drinks; the guests can enjoy 3 they want to eat. She also plans to have a game in which 4 shoes are red will receive a gift. whatever whosever
Whats more, she will prepare several video games for the guests; they can play 5 game they are interested in. Sandy believes it will definitely be an unforgettable birthday party. whichever
Example: The woman could not begin to modify her behavior until she understood her tendencies. Not until the woman understood her tendencies could she begin to modify her behavior.
A. 1. The mother didnt go to bed until her daughter returned home. ________________________ Not until her daughter returned home did the mother go to bed.
2. The man did not tell the truth until the police officer questioned him. ________________________ _________ ______________ Not until the police officer questioned the man did he tell the truth.
3. I could not solve the math problem until the teacher explained it to me. ________________________ Not until the teacher explained the math problem to me could I solve it.
4. You will not understand that life is full of ups and downs until you get older. ________________________ Not until you get older will you understand that life is full of ups and downs.
5. People will not know the value of their health until they lose it. ________________________ Not until people lose their health will they know the value of it.
Dear Anne, Yesterday, I had a fight with my dad. I had long dreamed of buying the latest model of cell phone, and I finally bought this with my credit card. However, 1 I did not tell my dad about this until I asked him for money to pay my credit card bill. 1. ____________________________________ ____________________________________ Not until I asked my dad for money to pay my credit card bill did I tell him about this.
It was not surprising that he was mad. He said I was wasting money because my old cell phone was still in good condition. I got upset and yelled at him. 2 I did not know I had hurt my dads feelings until I saw an expression of sadness on his face. 2. ____________________________________ ____________________________________ Not until I saw an expression of sadness on my dads face did I know I had hurt his feelings.
However, I didnt say anything to him. I feel guilty. What can I do? Yours truly, Kevin Dear Kevin, Its always a tough job to be a parent. Its even harder to support a family. 3 You will not realize this until you have your own family. 3. ___________________________________ ___________________________________ Not until you have your own family will You realize this.
In addition, 4 you will not know the difference between needing and wanting until you grow older. I think you should apologize to your dad. 4. _________________________________ _________________________________ Not until you grow older will you know the difference between needing and wanting.
Talk to him and let him know you are sorry. Believe me. 5 You will not know the importance of your words until you see your fathers smile. Good luck! Best regards, Anne 5. __________________________________ __________________________________ Not until you see your fathers smile will you know the importance of your words.