Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

F-1 and J-1 Work Authorization

Similar presentations

Presentation on theme: "F-1 and J-1 Work Authorization"— Presentation transcript:

1 F-1 and J-1 Work Authorization
Duke Visa Services (DVS) Smith Warehouse 114 S. Buchanan Blvd Bay 7: 1st Floor

2 J-1 Academic Training (AT)

3 What is Academic Training?
Academic Training permits certain types of study-related employment for J students. Flexible full and part-time employment options are available. Employment must be directly related to student’s major field of study.

4 What are the Requirements?
Request for J-1 Academic Training Form Letter from employer that includes: Exact start and end dates Physical worksite address Name of supervisor and contact information Salary Job Title Brief description of the goals and objectives of employment

5 Obtaining Approval for Academic Training
Student should make appointment with International Student Advisor in DVS after obtaining employment letter and Academic Advisor approval. International Student Advisor will review request, and if approved, a letter of approval authorizing the employment will be issued, with a new DS-2019, and an extension of program if needed.

6 Academic Training summary
Must apply before end of the J-1 student’s academic program (cannot apply during 30 day grace period). Must maintain health insurance. Approval cannot exceed the length of time student is approved for J-1 study or 18 months, whichever is shorter. Additional time may be available to Ph.D. students beyond 18 months.

7 F-1 Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

8 What is Curricular Practical Training?
Work Authorization benefit for F-1 Students Employment related to or required for Academic Program of Study

9 What are the Requirements?
Must have maintained F-1 status and have been studying full-time for at least one academic year Employment must be part of academic program: Required part of student’s curriculum (Student must provide appropriate documentation from course catalogue) OR Must be taken for credit if not a required part of curriculum (Student must provide evidence of enrollment in the course) 9

10 Application Process Complete Application for Curricular Practical Training (Law, Fuqua and MEM students must obtain a special form prepared by their schools, in lieu of Section III) Job offer letter from employer that states: Exact start and end dates Physical worksite address(es) Name of supervisor and contact information Salary Job title Job description Schedule appointment with designated International Student Advisor in DVS 10

11 Obtaining Curricular Practical Training Approval
Please bring to the SCHEDULED appointment: Completed Application Job offer letter Passport, all Form I-20(s), and I-94 *If all is in order, you will receive a new Form I-20 with CPT approval at the appointment. 11

12 Curricular Practical Training summary
No cost to apply Apply at least 2 weeks prior to start date Cannot work until CPT has been approved CPT can be issued for part-time or full-time employment 12 months of full-time CPT eliminates OPT benefits entirely 12

13 F-1 Optional Practical Training (OPT)

14 What is Optional Practical Training?
12-month work authorization per each higher educational level Benefit of F-1 status Related to major area of study Pre-completion OPT - before graduation (may be part-time or full-time) Post-completion OPT - after graduation (must be employed at least 20 hours per week) 17-month STEM extension - additional OPT for STEM majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics)

15 What are the Requirements?
Must have maintained F-1 status and have been studying full-time for at least one academic year Employment must be related to field of study Must not have used 12 months or more of full-time Curricular Practical Training (CPT) at the same educational level Do not need a job offer to apply

16 Types of Employment allowed using Post-Completion Optional Practical Training
Paid Employment: Must be able to provide evidence showing employment of at least 20 hours per week Multiple Employers Short-term multiple employers (performing artists) Work for hire: Student performs a service based on contractual relationship

17 Types of Employment allowed using Post-Completion Optional Practical Training (continued)
Self-Employed business owner: Student must have appropriate business licenses and engage in employment related to degree Employment through an agency Unpaid Employment: May work as volunteers or unpaid interns, where this does not violate any labor laws.

18 Is Employment related to Degree?
Students should maintain evidence for each job or the position held, proof of the duration of the position, job title, contact information for supervisor and a description of the employment. Request a signed letter from the supervisor confirming the job is related to the degree if it is not clear in the job description.

19 What is the Application Process?
KEY = Student Responsibility =Int’l Advisor Responsibility = Dept. of Homeland Security Responsibility

20 How to apply for Optional Practical Training
Form I-765 Optional Practical Training Application Recommendation letter from academic advisor $ check or money order made payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security” (check must have pre-printed name, cannot be starter check) 2 passport size photos (must meet USCIS specifications) All I-20s Passport Visa stamp I-94 card Previous EAD (if applicable) Copy of student’s degree reflecting the conferred degree and major field of study (STEM extension only)

21 When Should the Application be Submitted?
Pre-completion: up to 90 days before being enrolled for one full academic year, provided that employment doesn’t start prior to completion of the full academic year up to 90 days in advance of requested employment start date if already met the one academic year requirement Post-completion: 90 days before program end date or within 60 day grace period may lose OPT time if the application is submitted during your 60 days grace period 17-month STEM: must be filed before current EAD expires

22 What about travel? Before Graduation: Must reenter the U.S. before degree program completion (before end date on I-20). Must have valid I-20, visa stamp and passport. After Graduation: Reentry to the U.S. requires: Valid passport Valid F-1 visa stamp Valid I-20 reflecting “OPT approved” with a travel signature of 6 months or less EAD Job offer letter Do NOT travel abroad and reenter after graduation during the OPT period unless you are returning to a job!!

23 What Happens to Dependents?
If students request a new I-20 reflecting “OPT approved”, dependent I-20s will also be issued at the same time If traveling, obtain a travel signature on I-20 every 6 months

24 No more than 90 days of unemployment from the start date on the EAD
No more than 90 days of unemployment from the start date on the EAD. If more than 90 days, the F-1 status is no longer valid and departure from the U.S. is required. Report changes of residential address, employer’s name and address, and change of status to DVS within 10 days Travel signatures on page 3 of I-20 are valid for 6 months No expedited processing option for OPT applications

25 17-month STEM Extension Eligibility:
Employer must be registered in E-verify (contact Human Resources or Payroll) Must be paid employment Degree must be in a STEM field as defined by the Dept. of State CIP code list (see page 3 of I-20 to find CIP code) Must apply before current OPT expires Not permitted to have more than 120 days of unemployment for the entire 29 months of OPT

26 Employment for STEM Extension
Must work at least 20 hours per week for E-Verify employer May work multiple jobs as long as all employers are enrolled in E-Verify Students are allowed to volunteer, incidental to their status. This means that volunteer work is allowed but does not count as employment for the purpose of maintaining F-1 status.

27 Volunteer Activities Students cannot “volunteer” for positions that are normally paid positions. The following webpage provides detailed instructions on the issue:

28 What are my options after OPT?
Return to home country Transfer to another degree program Stop employment after the OPT end date. A 60-day grace period is available to prepare for departure. Change non-immigrant status from F-1 OPT to another visa status

29 What about the H-1B visa? Temporary worker’s visa
65,000/year for cap subject employers Additional 20,000 for Master’s degree or higher Earliest day for employer to file is April 1 for an H-1B (cap subject) to begin October 1 Notify DVS upon receipt of H-1B approval

30 What is the F-1/H-1B “cap gap?”
Occurs when an F-1 student’s status and work authorization will expire in the present fiscal year before their approved H-1B employment will begin on October 1st. Good News!! The Cap Gap allows F-1 OPT students with an approved or receipted H-1B petition to continue working until the October 1 start date for the H-1B takes effect. Applies only to “cap subject” employers.

31 Questions For further assistance, please contact your International Student Advisor by phone or . DVS office is open Monday through Friday from 8:00am-5:00pm. or International Student Advisor Address: Smith Warehouse, Bay 7-1st floor 114 South Buchanan Blvd. Telephone:

32 Check out the Duke Visa Services Website!

Download ppt "F-1 and J-1 Work Authorization"

Similar presentations

Ads by Google