Initial Energy Source Sunlight is the main energy source for life on Earth!
Ecological Roles Producers: – Make their own food from sunlight energy or chemical energy – Base of energy for a system
Ecological Roles Producers: – Photoautotrophs: Use sunlight to make energy/food Photosynthesis – Chemoautotrophs: Use chemical reactions to make energy/food Chemosynthesis
Ecological Roles Consumers: – Heterotrophs: Acquire energy and food from other organisms – Types of heterotrophs Herbivores: eat only plants Carnivores: eat only other animals Omnivores: eat both plants and animals Scavengers: eat dead organisms (not the same as decomposers!)
Ecological Roles Decomposers: – Break down organic matter – Release energy and nutrient back into the system – Bacteria + fungi
Food Chain Series of steps in which organisms transfer energy by eating and being eaten
Food Web Complex feeding relationships in an ecosystem.
Trophic Levels Each step in a food chain or web Begins with producers 2 nd, 3 rd, 4 th and higher levels are made up of consumers
Energy Pyramid Limited energy as you move along a food chain. Only 10% of energy from one level is transferred to the next level. The other 90% is used by the organisms for growth, development, and activity.