Presentation on theme: " Why is it important to be sensitive to situations involving cultural diversity? What are the major differences between the cultures of major immigrant."— Presentation transcript:
Why is it important to be sensitive to situations involving cultural diversity? What are the major differences between the cultures of major immigrant groups? What are some of the subcultures that Law, Public Safety, Corrections, and Security professionals interact with on a regular basis?
- the beliefs, customs, arts, etc., of a particular society, group, place, or time
- the quality or state of having many different forms, types, ideas, etc.
- of or relating to races or large groups of people who have the same customs, religion, origin, etc.
- a family, tribe, people, or nation belonging to the same stock
- an idea or set of beliefs that guides the actions of a person or group
- a feeling or understanding that someone or something is important, serious, etc., and should be treated in an appropriate way
- a local or regional dialect expression
- to form an opinion prior to actual knowledge or experience
- an often unfair and untrue belief that many people have about all people or things with a particular characteristic
- standards of proper or acceptable behavior
- having or based on the idea that your own group or culture is better or more important than others
- a situation in which people of different social classes, religions, races, etc., are together in a society but continue to have their different traditions and interests
- loyalty to a tribe or other social group especially when combined with strong negative feelings for people outside the group
Assimilation- to adopt the ways of another culture,: to fully become part of a different society, country, etc.
- intolerance of cultures, religions, races, ethnicities, or political beliefs that differ from one's own
- unfavorable or unfair treatment towards an individual or group based on their race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, physical/mental abilities, or sexual orientation.