Presentation on theme: "Review!!! Good Luck!!. The Berlin Conference in 1884…(hint…what did “they” do?) Gave African nations their independence. Divided African nations among."— Presentation transcript:
The Berlin Conference in 1884…(hint…what did “they” do?) Gave African nations their independence. Divided African nations among European nations. Divided Africa among African ethnic groups evenly.
* Divided African nations among European nations.
* Which of the following is an effect of colonial rule in Africa? (hint…What happened after the Europeans left?) Fewer Christian missionaries in Africa Conflicts among African ethnic groups Economic Growth within African countries
* Why did many of the boundaries of the new African states created after WWII cause problems? (hint…remember what you have learned about the division) All of the new countries were too large to rule effectively. All the boundaries carefully followed the paths of rivers. Europeans drew the boundaries so they could keep all the mineral wealth for themselves.
* Europeans drew the boundaries so they could keep all the mineral wealth for themselves.
* This country’s independence movement was peaceful from the British, but conflict among ethnic groups emerged because of artificial political boundaries and power struggles. Nigeria Kenya South Africa
* In 1946, British colonial authorities merged southern and northern Sudan into a single administrative region. The inhabitants of southern Sudan primarily practice Christianity and Traditional African religions. Northern Sudan is inhabited by Arab Muslims. Merging the citizens in the previously separate regions led to the first Sudanese civil war and subsequent political and ethnical strife. * Based on the passage, what contributed to civil war in Sudan? (hint…ethnic groups) artificial political borders Pan-African Movement African Nationalist movement
* The purpose of the Pan-African Movements in Africa is to (hint…think about what Pan means and eliminate.) Create one African language Develop a unified region Develop a unified political identity
* Why has a strong sense of national unity been difficult to achieve in many African nations that gained independence in the 20 th century? (hint…ethnic groups) Tribal loyalty is sometimes stronger than national loyalty. Europeans fear that national unity would make African countries too strong. Communism is a powerful force against national unity.
* Tribal loyalty is sometimes stronger than national loyalty.
* Which is a system of acquiring colonies to provide raw materials for a stronger country? * socialism * democracy * imperialism * communism
* Using African people to help European officials administer (rule) a colony was known as what form of colonial rule? (hint…the Europeans used the African chiefs to rule the people?) * assimilation * indirect rule * private companies
* European countries colonized Africa during the 19 th and early 20 th century in order to access Africa’s natural resources. What was the effect on the people of Africa? (Hint…What did they do when they divided Africa?) * European colonization of Africa made Africans very wealthy. * There were so few natural resources that the effect was small. * Boundaries between countries were artificial which caused conflict and war.
* Boundaries between countries were artificial which caused conflict and war.