Presentation on theme: "Reading B A practical joke. Think about the questions 1.What does science fiction mean? 2.Do you know the characters in the science fiction books below?"— Presentation transcript:
What is a practical joke? It is a trick played on sb to make them look stupid or foolish and to make other people laugh. Can you tell us an example you meet in your daily life?
Do you know the holiday of “Halloween”? What is it about?
1. How do the people look? 2. What kind of books did H.G. Wells write? 3. Who put out the program? 4. When is the Halloween in the USA? afraid Science fiction books. Orson Welles. On 31st, October.
Page100, read the story and answer the questions below.
1.What is one of H. G. Wells’ famous books? What is it about? It’s the War of the Worlds. And it was about spaceships coming to Earth. 2. What did Orson Wells do on 30 October, 1938? He put out a radio program from the book. 3. How was the radio program different from the book? In the program the actors talked like reporters and it sounded like a news report to the listeners.
4. What did the actors say? “Space people from the planet Mars are going to attack Earth…” 5. Did Orson Welles tell the listeners the truth right after he put out the program? No. He didn’t tell them until 40 minutes later. 6. Did the listeners believe this news? Yes. 7. What do people do on Halloween? They play jokes on other people.
H.G. Wells wrote a _____________ book about spaceship coming to Earth in 1897.In 1938,a man ______ Orson Wells _______ a radio program from the book. It was _______ from the book. Because the _____ talked like ________ and it ___________ a news report to the listeners. science fiction named put out different actors reporters sounded like Try to retell this story and fill in the blanks below
The actors said space people were _______attack Earth. Huge things would ____________ spaceships and kill people. When people heard this, they were _________, and some even tried to _____. After he ____ the listeners ________,some still ________ the news report. believed the truth toldhide frightened come out of going to
Language points: The book was still very popular in the 1930s. 这本书在二十世纪三十年代还是 很受欢迎。 世纪年代的表示方法是 “in+ 定冠词 + 基 数词表示的世纪 + 十位整数的复数形式 ” ，翻 译世纪时要注意在该基数词的基础上加 “1” ， 如句中的 1930s 指的是二十世纪三十年代， 即 1930-1939 年期间。
1. 在十九世纪九十年代 ____________ 2. 在十八世纪八十年代 _____________ 3.in the 1450s___________________ 4.In the 1990s___________________ in the 1890s. In the 1780s 在十五世纪五十年代 在二十世纪九十年代
… in the programme the actors talked like reporters and it sounded like a news report to the listeners. …… 节目中，演员 们说起话来像记者，听众们听起来就像是 听新闻报道。 like 在此作介词，意为 “ 像 ……” ，常与系动 词连用，如： look like （看起来像）， sound like （闻起来像）， feel like （摸起 来像）等。
1. 这个东西摸起来像是一只手表。 It ____ ____ a watch. 2. 她看起来像她的爸爸。 She _____ ____ her father. feels like looks like
巩固练习 ( 一 ) 翻译短语。 1. 一本科幻书 2. 《星球之战》 3. 在 20 世纪 30 年代 4. 广播；公布 5. 与 …… 不同 6. 听起来像 a science fiction book The War of the Worlds in the 1930s put out be different from sound like
7. 从 …… 出来 8. 告诉 …… 实情 9. 起初 10. 变得生气 11. 事实上 12. 开某人的玩笑 come out of tell... the truth at first get angry in fact play jokes on sb