We think you have liked this presentation. If you wish to download it, please recommend it to your friends in any social system. Share buttons are a little bit lower. Thank you!
Presentation is loading. Please wait.
Published byDuane Douglas
Modified over 4 years ago
5-1 Energy Flow in Ecosystems Page 117
A. Life Depends on the Sun 1. Organisms use sunlight to make sugar by the process of photosynthesis.
A. Life Depends on the Sun
2. Energy gets transferred from producers, or autotrophs (make their food), to consumers, or heterotrophs (eat other organisms).
Organize: Start with organism that gets energy from sun at the bottom then move up! Organisms: Mouse, Caterpillar, Grass, Snake, Hawk Labels: Producer, Autotroph, Heterotroph, First Consumer, Secondary Consumer, Tertiary Consumer(Top Carnivore)
A. Life Depends on the Sun 3. An exception are the organisms living in the deep ocean where light does not reach.
A. Life Depends on the Sun 4. Deep-ocean communities get energy from consuming bacteria (they use hydrogen sulfide to make food). video
B. What Eats What 1. Herbivores eat plants.
B. What Eats What 2. Carnivores eat other animals.
B. What Eats What 3. Omnivores eat both plants and animals.
B. What Eats What 4. Decomposers break down dead organisms (include bacteria and fungi).
Brainstorm (2 of each) Herbivore Carnivore Omnivore Decomposer
C. Cellular Respiration 1. Breaking down carbohydrates (sugars) to get energy is called cellular respiration (happens in organisms cells).
C. Cellular Respiration
D. Energy Transfer 1. When organisms consume each other, energy is transferred.
D. Energy Transfer 2. A food chain is the path of energy transfer from one organism to the next as it is consumed.
Quick Activity! Each paper has the name of an organism. Find 3 other people to form a food chain with! When you complete your group of 4, Find a table to sit down at.
D. Energy Transfer 3. A food web includes more organisms than a food chain and shows their feeding relationships.
Quick Activity! Food Web! Using the same cards lets make a class food web using yarn! Start with the sun, move to plants, move to herbivores, finish with carnivores!
D. Energy Transfer 4. Each step of energy transfer is called a trophic level.
D. Energy Transfer 5. Energy pyramids visualize the loss of energy between trophic levels.
Quick Demo! Energy Loss!
D. Energy Transfer 6. Only 10% of the available energy is able to pass to the next trophic level, the other 90% is lost as heat.
Project: Make an energy pyramid
Food Chains and Food Webs
How Ecosystems WorkSection 1 Section 1: Energy Flow in Ecosystems Preview Bellringer Objectives Life Depends on the Sun From Producers to Consumers An.
Section 1: Energy Flow in Ecosystems
Copyright © by Holt, Rinehart and Winston. All rights reserved. ResourcesChapter menu Section 1 Energy Flow in Ecosystems Objectives Chapter 5 Describe.
3-2 Energy Flow Page 67. A. Producers 1. Sunlight is the main source of energy for life on earth. 2. Energy gets transferred from producers, or autotrophs.
All living things ultimately get their energy from the SUN (some directly and some indirectly).
3.1 Energy Flow in Ecosystem Mrs. Trimble Mrs. Perryman.
Energy Flows Through Ecosystems Sun: Makes all energy on Earth. Producers: Make their own food. Consumers: Get their food by eating other organisms. Decomposers:
Chapter 3: How Ecosystems Work Section 3.1: Energy Flow in Ecosystems.
How Ecosystems WorkSection 1 Life Depends on the Sun Energy from the sun enters an ecosystem when plants use sunlight to make sugar molecules. This happens.
How Ecosystems WorkSection 1 Chapter 5 How Ecosystems Work Section 1: Energy Flow in Ecosystems.
Energy Flow in Ecosystems Environmental Science Chapter 5, Section
Chapter 5.1 Energy Flow in Ecosystems Environmental Science Spring 2011.
Class Notes 5: Energy Flow in Ecosystems I. Energy Flow A. Ecologists trace the flow of energy through communities to discover nutritional relationships.
Food Chains, Webs & Pyramids! 1) The Passage of Energy The Sun The source of energy for all life on the planet Producers (Autotroph) Use the sun’s energy.
Bell Ringer What does an organism need to survive? Where does life on earth begin? Can you think of life that does not begin with the sun?
Energy flow in the Ecosystem. Energy 1 st law of thermodynamics – energy can not be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another.
Energy in Ecosystems Note: Organisms interact in order to obtain energy and resources necessary to survive.
© 2020 SlidePlayer.com Inc. All rights reserved.