We think you have liked this presentation. If you wish to download it, please recommend it to your friends in any social system. Share buttons are a little bit lower. Thank you!
Presentation is loading. Please wait.
Published byTracey Holt
Modified over 4 years ago
Characteristics of Living Things
What is biology? The study of living things All living things share certain characteristics
1. Made of 1 or more cells Unicellular (one cell) - ex. Bacteria Multicellular (many cells) - ex. Animals, plants
2. Need energy to survive Autotrophs - get energy from sun Heterotrophs - get energy by consuming nutrients from their environment
3. Respond to stimuli in their environment Stimuli - factors in the environment that living things react to (ex. Light, temperature, sound, etc.)
4. All living things reproduce Sexual - two sex cells required (sperm and egg) Asexual - only one parent cell is needed
5. Grow and develop Each cell divides to make new cells (cell division) – results in growth Some cells become specialized and perform different jobs than others (differentiation)
6. Maintain homeostasis Homeostasis – a relatively stable internal environment (within a certain range) - (ex. Human body temperature (approximately 98.6 degrees F))
7. Have a universal genetic code All living things have DNA DNA passes on genetic information from one generation to the next
8. Adapt and evolve over time Evolution - gradual change in a population of organisms over time Individuals DO NOT evolve
Characteristics of Life
The characteristics of living organisms. All living things are made of cells. have DNA obtain and use energy. Excrete wastes grow and develop. reproduce.
Happy New Year!!!
Define Life Create a list of characteristics associated with life--what tells you that something is alive? Brainstorm with your partner. Write them in.
1 Study of Biology. 2 What is Biology? Biology is the study of all living things Living things are called organisms Living things are called organisms.
What is biology? Biology is the study of living things (organisms).
Characteristics of Living Things 1/23/15 Starter: 1/23/15 Practice: List what things you believe are characteristics of living things Application/Connection:
1 Study of copyright cmassengale Edited by pdunning EHS Characteristics of Life.
Characteristics of Living Things 1/17/13 Starter: 1/17/13 Practice: List what things you believe are characteristics of living things Application/Connection:
1 Study of Biology copyright cmassengale. 2 What is Biology? Biology is the study of all living things Living things are called organisms Living things.
Characteristics of Living Things
Please pick up notebook
Characteristics of Life 1) are made of cells 2) reproduce 3) are based on genetic code of DNA 4) grow and develop 5) obtain and use materials and energy.
Studying Life: What does it mean to be alive? Objectives: 1. Describe some characteristics of living things 2. Explain how life can be studied at different.
Life’s Characteristics Living Things Also known as Organisms – Plants as well as animals, moss, mold, etc…: Reproduce. Adapt Respond use Energy Homeostasis.
Studying Life 1-3. Biology Means study of life Science that seeks to understand the living world In order to be considered alive, organisms must meet.
Study of Biology 1. What is Biology? Biology Living things are called Organisms include 2.
Mr. Langton 9/24/2015. Do Now (5 minutes!) Title: 8 Characteristics of All Living Things Write in LT, BAME, Evidence, and How I can Improve DO NOW: How.
© 2019 SlidePlayer.com Inc. All rights reserved.