Presentation on theme: "Chapter 3 Review Acceleration and Free Fall 1.When an object undergoes a change in velocity, it is said to be ______________. ans: accelerating/decelerating."— Presentation transcript:
Chapter 3 Review Acceleration and Free Fall 1.When an object undergoes a change in velocity, it is said to be ______________. ans: accelerating/decelerating 2. What is the equation that will define the final velocity with a change in displacement at a constant acceleration? ans: Vf 2 = Vi 2 + 2a∆d 3. What is the acceleration due to gravity when a ball is thrown into the air? ans – 9.8 m/s 2
4. What would a graph showing constant acceleration look like? ans: 2 velocity (m)1 Time (s) 5. In the graph above, which has the slower rate of acceleration? ans: #1, can you explain why?
6. What is the acceleration due to gravity when a ball is dropped from a defined height? ans: 9.8 m/s 2 7.What is the equation used to find the final velocity of an object at a constant acceleration in time? Ans: V f = V i + a∆t 8. What does the following graph indicate? velocity (m) ans: zero acceleration Time (s)
9. The equation used to find the distance an object travels at a constant acceleration in time is: ans: ∆d = V i ∆t + ½ a∆t 2 10.What is the ONLY difference between acceleration along the horizontal and free fall? ans: substitute g for a and g is always the same 11. What is the average acceleration of an object that travels at 5.0 m/s for 3.2 min? ans: 0.026 m/s 2
12. An object fall starting from rest for 5.4 s. How far will the object travel in this time? ans: 143 m 13. What would be the velocity of the object in #12 in the time interval stated? ans: 53 m/s 14. You throw a ball into the air with an initial velocity of 2.3 m/s. What is the velocity of the ball at the very top of the throw? ans: zero, gravity has brought the ball to 0 m/s before reversing.
15. If it takes 3.2 s for the ball in #14 to reach the top of it’s trip, how high has the ball been thrown? ans: 57.5 m ‘What an arm!!!!!!!!!!!’ 16. A graph the has the distance on the x-axis and the time on the y-axis describes what type of motion? ans: velocity 17. On a velocity to time graph ______ is described? ans: acceleration
18. How would a constant acceleration of a velocity to time graph look? ans: velocity (m/s) Time (s) 19. What equation would allow you to find the final velocity of an object in free fall given a defined distance? ans: v f 2 = v i 2 + 2gΔd
20. A change in the ________ always indicates a new acceleration. ans: velocity 21. What does a value of -9.8 m/s 2 indicate with respect to free fall? ans: the object is thrown up 22. What would the value be for the acceleration in #21 if the object is dropped? ans: +9.8 m/s 2
23. A ball is dropped. How far will the ball travel in the first 5s in meters? ans: 122.5 m 24.A car gets a rolling start of 1.2 m/s. If the cars accelerates at 1.5 m/s 2 for 54 s, how far will the car travel? ans: 2251.8 m 25. A car accelerates at 0.07 m/s 2 for a distance of 230 m. If the final velocity is measured at 23.2 m/s, what was the initial velocity? ans: 22.5 m/s