Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Welcome to the University of Bath!

Similar presentations

Presentation on theme: "Welcome to the University of Bath!"— Presentation transcript:

1 Welcome to the University of Bath!

2 Pre-departure briefing
The application process Your visa Your preparation Your journey Your first few days

3 Key messages for 2013 You cannot enrol at the University of Bath unless you have a valid visa for Bath You may be stopped if you try to enter the UK on a visa for a course that you have already completed It’s your responsibility to read the UKBA guidance carefully and comply with all requests for information from the University You may need a medical test for TB before you are allowed to enter the UK Some students will be asked to give credibility interviews as part of the visa application process We highly recommend you seek advice from the International Student Advice Team

4 Application process We’ll contact you electronically and ask you to upload a scan of your academic and English language qualifications – your offer will be conditional on these qualifications You’ll get an ‘unconditional firm’ offer when you’ve met the conditions of your offer and accepted your place As you are an international student, you will now need to apply for your visa Tier 4 is the student route, for which you will need a ‘CAS’ – Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies

5 What is a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)?
A CAS is a unique personal number generated by the UKBA that you need for your Tier 4 visa application A CAS: confirms that a university is prepared to sponsor you helps you get a visa to study at that university (but not at any other university) is included on your CAS statement The University of Bath sends your CAS statement to you via Application Tracker – it is not an original document. Please read the conditions on the CAS statement The CAS statement replaces the offer and visa letters.

6 Application process cont.
Before we issue you with a CAS statement we’ll send you a ‘Pre-CAS Check’, this means we will: contact you if you need an ATAS certificate ask you to check your personal details ask for details of your immigration history/previous study in the UK ask for a scan of your passport ask you to check whether you have the correct funding and evidence of funding When you’ve provided us with all this information and we’re satisfied that you meet UKBA and University requirements, we’ll issue you with a CAS via Application Tracker and If we don’t think you’ll be able to make a successful visa application, or meet University requirements, we won’t issue you with a CAS

7 Applying for your Tier 4 General Student visa (entry clearance)
Check the International Student Advice Team’s website (which includes a checklist): check here for details of how to apply: students/applying-inside-uk/ apply online (print out form and send with documents) print and complete appendix 8 and send it with your supporting documents application fee = £298 (+ £298 for each dependant) All the information you need is on this website including the correct application forms for you.

8 English language requirements
To study for a degree in the UK: UKBA requires confirmation that you have achieved B2 level on the CEFR scale in all four components The University of Bath has its own entrance requirements for English language (generally higher than the UKBA requirements). You will have been informed of this. Evidence = a Secure English Language Test (SELT), such as IELTS, on the UKBA’s list of approved tests See the University of Bath website for further details:

9 Very important! Before you apply:
read the Tier 4 Policy Guidance on the UKBA website carefully check that you have all the correct documents and that the documents are in the right format (see funding checker) fill in the form carefully – check that you have ticked all the relevant boxes Useful links: Adult students – Tier 4 (General) inside-uk/ Making a Tier 4 (General) application Because the UKBA have changed the rules and we now have the new Points Based Immigration System (PBS) it is important that you prepare your visa application carefully. Decisions are made based on the accuracy of your application form and the quality of the evidence you provide. There is no longer any discretion in granting a visa. If you provide the wrong documents or fail to complete the form correctly your application will fail. The guidance you need is on the UKBA website. UKCISA (UK Council for International Student Affairs) have a very good information leaflet about applying from your own country.

10 Documents All documents not in English need an official translation
Documents required: CAS number (on a CAS statement provided by the University – print this out) original qualification certificates – as stated on your Application Tracker (and CAS statement) evidence of funding – e.g. your bank statements or your parents’ bank statements (birth certificate + letter confirming their support) or original sponsor’s letter ATAS certificate (if needed this will be stated on your CAS) This applies to some postgraduate/MEng students – see for more details. UKBA guidance For students overseas, any documents which are not in English or Welsh must be accompanied by a full translation that can be independently verified by the UK Border Agency. The original translation must contain confirmation from the translator/translation company that it is an accurate translation of the original document, the date of the translation, the translator/an authorised official of the translation company’s full name and signature, and the translator/translation company’s contact details.

11 Visa financial requirements
you must show that you have: living expenses of £7200 (if you do not have established presence) course fees for your first year (as stated on your CAS) Above funds in your bank account for consecutive 28 days minimum Please note: the University does not send original receipts so please wait to pay fees on arrival and keep money in bank account real living expenses may be more, depending on your lifestyle Real living expenses can be up to £700 per month. There is a detailed breakdown of food and living costs on our website. The figure quoted here is for visa purposes only. The family member of a Tier 4 (General) Student who is studying in outer London or anywhere else in the United Kingdom must have £400 per month up to a maximum of 9 months, to support himself/herself.

12 Evidence from your bank
Acceptable evidence: original statements or letter, including the name and logo of the bank shows funds for a consecutive 28-day period is dated within 1 month of your visa application includes your name includes your bank account number is translated into English is converted into UK pounds – If a student wants to use a joint account as proof of his/her money, he/she must be named on the account along with one or more other person. If a parents’ bank account is used then must provide a birth certificate.

13 Financial institutions:
Check that the financial documents are from an institution acceptable to the UKBA: ationrules/appendixp/

14 What you need to include in your visa application
Along with your personal and course information, on your application form you will need to include: your CAS number your sponsor license number (in your CAS statement) In your application, also include: any other original documents required by UKBA (see UKBA guidance) all qualification documents required (in your CAS statement) your CAS statement (a printed is ok) Students are not obliged to include the document (CAS statement) in their application but we advise them too as certain embassies have asked for it.

15 If you apply to other institutions
You may get several CAS numbers from different institutions if you decide to come to the University of Bath you must only use the CAS number generated by the University of Bath once you have used a CAS number, any other CAS number you have will no longer be valid

16 Important points… your CAS is valid for six months
you can’t apply for your visa more than three months before your course begins you’ll be contacted by the University to ask if your visa application was successful once you have a visa you cannot decide to study at another university using that visa If your visa is refused: Get advice from the International Student Advice Team* who can advise you. It may be possible to apply for an ‘Administrative Review’ or to make a second visa application. You’ll need to send the Team evidence of refusal (e.g. a scanned copy of UKBA documents). if it seems unlikely that you can make a successful visa application, the University may not give you a second CAS the University will not issue a third CAS – you must make a successful visa application the second time. If you admissions to tell them you have been refused please write CAS and VISA Refusal in subject header and student number.

17 CAS statements will look like this.

18 Accommodation if you have firmly accepted your offer apply as soon as possible – help/index.html cost = £88 – £210 per week (bills included) most accommodation is self-catering but a catered option is available Freewire - Free TV and phone - communal areas are cleaned twice weekly/bedrooms 4-6 weeks Resident Tutor Service Ensuite or not ensuite? On and off campus residences Though you are guaranteed accommodation if you apply by xx August you are not guaranteed your first choice. Most postgraduate residences are off campus. The majority of students on campus are undergraduates. They can be noisy and party until late. . Off campus you will be sharing with other postgraduates. There is approximately 50/50 ensuite accommodation. The advantages of a shared bathroom are that the rooms are often bigger and cheaper and they get cleaned twice a week! The Resident Tutors live in residences and are students. Several of them are Phd students from China this year. They are there to look after you, to help you if you are in trouble, to listen if there is a problem. Students are very satisfied with the support that they get in accommodation.

19 Transport 10 minutes town centre to campus
Buses leave every 6 minutes during term time Bus passes available from the Student’s Union shop / bus station If you have done your undergraduate degree in China you are probably used to living on campus. Most of our postgraduate accommodation is off campus. However Bath is not a big city like Beijing or Shanghai and it is quick and easy to travel from accommodation in town to campus each day. There are buses from the town centre to campus. They run every 6 minutes in term time (and regularly during the vacations). On a typical day a journey from the town centre to campus will take between 10 – 15 minutes. The residences in town are close to bus stops.

20 Paying your tuition fees
For visa purposes it is easier if you pay your tuition fees when you arrive at Bath Ways to pay: in full or in two instalments by direct debit from a UK bank account by credit/debit card by banker’s draft (payable to the University of Bath) by direct bank transfer If you wait until you get here then they do not have to produce separate receipts to prove you have paid fees. It can take a long time for the students to receive receipts confirming payment of fees. As long as the students have money in their bank account and the appropriate evidence of this then they do not need to pay fees in advance. No discounts for paying upfront or in full. Must speak to student finance about payment plan.

21 Opening a UK bank account
you can use Barclays and Santander on campus NatWest, HSBC and other major banks are in the city centre different accounts are available - some bank accounts offer only cash card accounts, others offer debit/credit cards. You will be able to get a letter to give the bank from Student Services when you arrive Opening a UK bank account can take a few weeks

22 Money check the current exchange rate for pounds sterling (£)
don’t carry large sums of cash – there are no security facilities on campus to safeguard cash use your home bank account (with credit/debit card) suggested amount for your first two weeks is £500 remember to budget for the year ahead, including: tuition fees travel food

23 Insurance take out travel insurance for your journey and your first week in the UK your travel insurance should cover: personal accident/medical personal belongings take out an insurance policy for your possessions for the rest of the year after you arrive in the UK

24 Medical obtain vaccinations for meningitis
X-rays for TB are mandatory – check with your local embassy most medical treatment is free in the UK if: your course lasts for more than 6 months you do not have a serious pre-existing medical condition the University has its own Medical Centre (doctor) you must register with a doctor when you arrive places at the Dental Centre are limited, get your teeth checked at home! Advice to get Meningitis at home as cheaper, but is available at the Medical Centre when you arrive. You might also want to get a vaccination for mumps. Talk to your doctor. If you do not get your x-ray done before you leave you may need to do this at the airport which can be very frustrating when you have just arrived.

25 What to bring all the original qualification documents listed on your CAS statement informal clothing to attend University a laptop an adaptor/voltage converter for any electrical equipment Laptops might be cheaper at home

26 What NOT to bring! bedding kitchen items rice cookers
too many winter clothes food – it’s illegal to import many foods, including meat/dairy. ‘Fresh Oriental’ on campus sells rice, noodles, sauces and drinks and check airline luggage allowance – excess baggage costs can be high! Bedding is provided on campus. Off campus residences – you have the option to buy a bedding pack or you can buy linen in town. Each kitchen has a rice cooker. Fresh Oriental has a facebook group – check they use facebook in China.

27 Sending luggage use a reputable company insure against loss or damage
send your luggage clearly labelled to the relevant Accommodation Services Centre make sure it will arrive after you

28 Travelling to the UK What to carry in your hand luggage:
a copy of your CAS financial evidence originals or certified copies of your degree/exam certificates X-rays (for TB) as required Be patient and polite with the immigration officer – they may ask you a few questions We will you guidance about travelling to Bath in September. You can print this out and bring it with you.

29 Travelling to Bath We’ll send you arrival instructions in September so don’t worry! International student volunteers will meet you at Heathrow Airport Terminal 3 on Saturday 21 and Sunday 22 September there is a FREE University-run coach to Bath on Saturday 21 and Sunday 22 September there are limited places on the University coach – you must book online there are also several public transport alternatives


31 LINC (Living in a New Culture) Programme
Saturday 21 all day Meeting point / campus tours Saturday 21 evening Welcome event (and soup!) Sunday 22 all day Sunday 22 evening Global Café Monday 23 evening LINC Mentor welcome evening Friday 27 evening BIG PG Welcome Party Information briefings will be led by student helpers. You will be allocated to a small group so you will be able to get to know others and ask questions. The Welcome evening on Saturday 25 is a chance for you to eat some food, meet others. It is an informal early evening event as we know you will be tired. The Global Café is an evening designed to encourage you to meet students from other countries and practise different languages – if you want to! Or find other students who speak your language. The 2 big parties are on Tuesday and Friday. There will be food and entertainment.

32 Document checking As part of our Tier 4 Sponsor duties we need to take copies of your visa and passport before we can fully enrol you We’ll ask you to complete this process from Monday 23 September and will you with the details

33 Freshers’ Week Freshers’ Week officially begins on Monday 23 September. It’s organised by the Students’ Union and includes: social events to help you meet others undergraduate and postgraduate programmes training events and information You can find more information at   The programme will include trips to local places of interest, parties, games nights There is a facebook group – check that they use facebook in china

34 University/Departmental Inductions
It’s important to attend Induction Week events, which include: postgraduate and undergraduate information sessions opportunities to meet your department and get your timetable opportunities to meet other new students resident tutor meetings (if you are living in Bath accommodation)

35 LINC (Living In a New Culture) mentoring scheme
The mentoring scheme includes: British student mentors weekly contact information about life in the UK and life in Bath opportunities to make friends and practise your English We’ll you with more information … Small mixed groups of 3 – 4 students. Programme runs until end November. Welcome party, weekly meetings, end party. Great feedback from the students. You may also have departmental peer mentoring schemes on offer to you. You can do both.

36 Support at Bath Learning and language
Money, disability, immigration, legal advice Counselling and faith Need help but not sure where to go? - the Student Services Centre will help you

37 Working in the UK During your studies
Student visas – up to 20 hours during term time and full- time during university closure periods Work placements/internships – free to work full-time if it is a recognised part of your course After your studies Tier 2 will be open to students: employers will not need to satisfy labour market test so this will open up opportunities for graduate level jobs (minimum salary requirements) Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur route (places available at Bath) The International Student Advice Team can help if you have any questions There are jobs available on campus in the library, in catering or as a support worker. In town jobs tend to be in bars and restaurants.

38 The social experience The University and the Students’ Union offer:
volunteering, cultural societies, sports clubs The Bath Award – for employability Discover trips to Oxford, London … International Student Association – to represent you! Global Group – social events to promote integration ‘Tea and talk’ –weekly meets! The Bath Award recognises achievement outside of your academic studies. You gain credits through volunteering and developing your skills. It is a strong addition to your CV when applying for jobs in the UK. Recording and reflecting on your experiences also helps prepare you for interview. Volunteering provides you with a great opportunity for practising your English and meeting other students from all over the world.

39 The campus Here we have pictures of our Fresh shop, the Sports Training village, the helpdesk in the library, accommodation (Marlborough) and the plans for the new Student Centre in the Students’ Union

40 In Bath Here we have pictures of a fruit and vegetable market stall, a traditional old street full of famous tea shops, a picture of the ‘Circus’ – a famous example of Bath architecture, the Crescent and a Tourist bus

41 Keep in touch with us University of Bath International Applicants’ Facebook page – like us! Chinese Social Networking Forum on Renren, QQ and Weibo - managed by one of our current Chinese students Follow us on Advice hours! Immigration advice sessions online in realtime Regular s with up-to-date news and information to help you prepare to come to the University of Bath Full preparing for arrival information at the International Student Advice Team –

Download ppt "Welcome to the University of Bath!"

Similar presentations

Ads by Google