3____ 1. Suggested explanation for an observation. a. independent ____ 1. Suggested explanation for an observation a. independent variable____ Organized procedure that involves making b. creativemeasurements and observations.____ 3. Factor in an experiment that can be c. observationsmanipulated by the experimenter.____ 4. Factor in an experiment that can change if d. dependent variableother factors are changed.____ 5. After careful observation and applying e. tentative or background knowledge, ______ are changeableformed by the observer.____ Standard for comparison that shows the f. experimentresults of an experiment are actually dueto the conditions being tested.____ 7. These are built on facts, and give the best g. hypothesisexplanation for a related group of facts.____ 8. Scientists must be ______ in order to h. inferencespresent new ideas and possibilities.____ 9. Because of new technology and newinterpretations of data, science is ____. i. control____ 10. Making good _____ is key whenperforming experiments. j. theories
51. The sun produces electromagnetic waves by converting 1. The sun produces electromagnetic waves by converting hydrogen into helium. This process is called ________.2. Of all the energy from the sun, about ____% is reflected back into space and _____% is absorbed by the earth.3. Trace the steps involved in changing light energy from the sun into chemical energy in fossil fuels.4. What happens to about one-half of the energy that the earth absorbs?5. Name two greenhouse gases.6. What impact do these gases have on Earth’s temperature?7. What is the difference between climate and weather?8. How does energy from the sun drive our weather?9. The Law of Conservation states that energy cannot be ________ nor _______.10. Electromagnetic Waves are organized by wavelength. Complete the following:Radio Waves ______ infrared _______ UV Rays ______ Gamma Rays
9Formation of the Universe The theory that says the universe began as a small point of energy and exploded outward is called The ________ _______ ________.Give two pieces of evidence that scientists use to support this theory.
10Red Shift Explain what this chart shows. This is based on the idea every elementhas it’s own________.
11Red ShiftRed shift tells scientists that galaxies are moving ________ each other.As light waves move towards us, spectral lines are ______ shifted.7. As light waves move away from us, spectral lines are ________shifted.
128. Much of what we have learned about the universe has come from the 8. Much of what we have learned about the universe has come from the _________ telescope. (Name of the telescope)9. Our star, the Sun, converts hydrogen into helium in a process called _________.10. A prominence is a solar feature coming off the surface of the Sun. Draw a picture that shows what a prominence looks like.
13Life Cycle of StarsWhat will an average sized star like our Sun eventually become?What is Planetary or Stellar nebula composed of?What do the most massive of all stars eventually become?
14Study the diagram 4. What does this diagram show? 5. Heavier elements are formed in what size stars?6. How do these elements found in stars become scattered throughout the universe?7. Where did the heavy elements found on Earth come from?siliconoxygenneon
15What is the most common element in the universe? Name the first element produced from the fusing of hydrogen atoms.What evidence is there today that heavy elements are still being formed in massive stars?
17Who developed the Theory of Continental Drift? Describe the Theory of Continental Drift.Why was this theory not accepted in the beginning?Two theories, Continental Drift and Seafloor Spreading, combine to form the Theory of _______ ________.
18Matching: A B C 5. _____ Transform Boundary 6. _____ Divergent 7. ____ ConvergentBC
19How do scientists know where plate boundaries are located? What does the followingdiagram show?10. Describe the force thatdrives convectioncurrents.
211. Explain how carbon goes from the atmosphere and into a plant. 2 1. Explain how carbon goes from the atmosphere and into a plant. 2. Explain the following diagram.carboncarbon
223. Ozone is found in the stratosphere and protects us from ____. 4 3. Ozone is found in the stratosphere and protects us from ____. 4. In what layer of the atmosphere does weather occur? 5. Name the main gas responsible for the Greenhouse effect. 6. If energy from the sun can penetrate the atmosphere, why can’t it leave the same way?
237. During the summer time, why are temperatures at the poles cooler than those at the equator? 8. El Niño is ultimately caused by ____. 9. Convection currents are caused by a difference in ____. 10. What is the cause of coriolis?
251. What drives/powers the water cycle? 2. What is occurring at stages 2 and 3?
263. This map shows (density, surface) currents. (choose one)
274. The trip to the sewer plant showed ____. 5. Density currents mix waters because ofA. salt accumulation B. colder temperaturesC. coriolis effect D. Both A and B6. Name two of the four reservoirs on Earth that contain fresh water.7. Besides sodium chloride, name an element makes up the salinity of ocean water.
32How is Earth’s atmosphere different that those of other planets? Is there water on other planets? If so, which?3. Name one condition that helps support life on Earth.
334. Write all the letters below that show abiotic factors 4. Write all the letters below that show abiotic factors that impact the environment. 5. Write all the letters that show biotic factors that impact the environment.BDCAFGEH
35What does sunlight striking a asphalt highway turn into? a. light c. electricityb. motion d. heat2. How do plants store energy during photosynthesis?In light energy c. As radiationIn chemical bonds d. As motion
36Which is NOT a problem associated with the Greenhouse Effect? a. Rising sea levelb. Changes in ocean currentsc. Changes in weather patternsd. Increased skin cancerThe sun’s energy is captured by plants, used by animals and eventually returns to space as ___________.Name a source of greenhouse gas.
376. Which of the following best describes this statement: “By increasing the amount of greenhouse gases, it is possible to increase the greenhouse effect.” a. Superstition b. Hypothesis c. Observation d. Fact7. Which heats up faster land or water?
388. According tothis Diagram,what causes aland breeze atnight?9. T or F Getting enough sleep impacts your ability to think and perform effectively.10. T or F I believe I can do well on CRT tests.