Presentation on theme: "Administrative Procedures for Provisional Voting Amy Strange NC State Board of Elections March 14, 2006."— Presentation transcript:
Administrative Procedures for Provisional Voting Amy Strange NC State Board of Elections March 14, 2006
Board Member Obligations 1. Learn and apply the law 2. Train precinct officials 3. Name provisional voting coordinators 4. Secure custody of provisional ballot envelopes 5. Determine eligibility 6. Count ballots
1. Learn and apply the law NCGS 163-166 and 163-182 08 NCAC 10B.0103 NC Provisional Voting Administrative Procedures ftp://www.sboe.state.nc.us/Provisional/
2. Train Precinct Officials 1 st choice: correct ballot for everyone Fail safe measure: provisional ballot
3. Name a Provisional Voting Coordinator At least one for each precinct Precinct expert at: Trying to find voters registration information Different last name? Call CBE?
Coordinator should: Inform voter of right to vote provisionally Write name in provisional pollbook Write PIN # on ballot Attach PIN labels to pollbook, envelope, instruction sheet
Coordinator trained to: Accept and inspect completed envelope Is it sealed? Is update form attached? Is envelope filled out completely? Voter should correct any errors before leaving Keep ballots separate and secure Keep envelopes sealed Transport
4. Custody CBE receives and secures provisional ballots and envelopes Count envelopes Compare to provisional pollbook Signature, date and time
5. Determine eligibility Procedures should be consistent, fair, impartial Only registered voters of the county are eligible Registered in county and resided there more than 30 days should be counted
Determining eligibility Out-of-precinct may require partial countkeep these separate Correct category on envelope Dont count ballot if eligibility cannot be determined DO NOT OPEN envelopes if voter not eligible
6. Count ballots Opening envelopes Check ballot inside Is PIN # on ballot? If Primary, does party on envelope match ballot inside?
Partial counts Two counters: one from each political party Board members review Observers may be present
Partial counts State Board orders one process only: Tally sheet DO NOT ALTER VOTES ON ORIGINAL BALLOTS!
Special circumstances Extended Hours Voters Separate extended hours provisional ballots from other provisional ballots Voters must sign separate section of provisional pollbook Only count if order remains valid at time of canvass meeting
Special circumstances Absentee voter with ID required Becomes provisional ballot Provisional pollbook Complete envelope Attach pin labels Place absentee envelope & ballot in provisional envelope Store in secure provisional ballot container Mail voter instruction sheet