Presentation on theme: "Matter by Denise Carroll. What is matter? Matter is everything around you, including you! Matter is what all things are made of."— Presentation transcript:
Matter by Denise Carroll
What is matter? Matter is everything around you, including you! Matter is what all things are made of.
Matter has 3 forms. 1. Solid 2. Liquid 3. Gas
Solids A solid has its own shape. A solid does not change unless you cut, bend, or break it. Solids take up space and have mass.
Liquids Liquids do not have their own shape. Liquids take the shape of their container. Liquids take up space and have mass.
Gases Gases have no definite size or shape. Gases take the shape of its container. A gas will fill all the space inside a container. Gases take up space and have mass.
Water is matter. Did you know it comes in all 3 forms? A Solid A Liquid A Gas ice water vaporwater
Matter has certain properties. Matter can have color. Matter can be different sizes. Matter can have different shapes. Matter can have texture. Matter can be rigid or bendable. Matter also takes up space and has mass. Properties are the characteristics of matter, how something looks or feels.
We can group objects by their properties. How can we group these objects?
1.Did you sort them by color? One property is color. Color Red Green Yellow
Size Large objects Small objects 2. Did you sort them by size? A second property is size.
Circles Squares Triangles 3. Did you sort them by shape? A third property is shape. Shape
We can group objects if they are rigid or bendable. Bendable means that the matter can bend, curve, or turn. Rigid means that the matter cannot bend, it is stiff. Can you name something that is rigid and something that is bendable?
Which objects are rigid? Which objects are bendable?
These objects are rigid. These objects are bendable.
Centimeter Centimeter is a unit used to measure length. Milliliter is a unit used to measure volume of a liquid.
Lets Review! 1. What are the 3 forms of matter?
1. The 3 forms of matter are ____ Solids Liquids Gases
2. A solid has a definite shape. a. True b. False
2. True A solid has a definite size and shape.
3. A liquid has a definite shape. a. True b. False
3. False A liquid has a definite size, but it takes the shape of its container.
4. A gas has a definite shape. a. True b. False
4. False A gas has no definite size or shape, because it fills all the space of its container.
5. What are some properties of matter?
5. Some properties of matter include _____. color size shape rigid bendable texture
Congratulations! You have learned that matter is EVERYWHERE!