We think you have liked this presentation. If you wish to download it, please recommend it to your friends in any social system. Share buttons are a little bit lower. Thank you!
Presentation is loading. Please wait.
Published byHunter Bryant
Modified over 4 years ago
Characteristics of Living Things
1. Living things are made up of one or more cellsCells are small, self-contained units that are the building blocks of organisms
2. Displays OrganizationThe levels of organization include: Cells Tissues Organs Organ Systems Organisms
What is an organism? Any individual living thing
3. Living things grow and developAn organism grows and develops by absorbing raw materials and processing them into new tissues and structures
4. Living things can reproduceLiving things produce new living things of the same type
….reproduce Although a living thing does not need to reproduce in order to survive, life would quickly die out without reproduction
5. Living things respond stimuli (their environment ) Anything in an organism’s environment that causes it to react is called a stimulus
…respond to environmentLight, temperature, odor, sound, heat, gravity, water, & pressure are all common stimuli
…respond to environmentAlso includes a population’s adapting to a changing environment What stimuli are you responding to right now?
6. Living things obtain and use energyMost plants obtain energy directly from the sun, whereas most animals get energy from chemical compounds in their food
…Energy Includes the intake of nutrients, the processing of those nutrients within cells, and the elimination of wastes
7. Maintain Homeostasis Organisms keep internal conditions stable through homeostasis
8. Adaption's evolve over timeAn adaption is: any inherited characteristic that results from changes to a species over time
What is BIOLOGY? E? How do you compare and contrast living organisms?
Chapter 1, Section 2 Living Things
CHARACTERISTICS OF ALL LIVING THINGS
Is it alive?.
8 Characteristics of Living Things
Cells: The Building Blocks of Life Section 1-1 What is Life?
Living or non living, that is the question.. Made of cells Contains similar chemicals Use energy Growth and development Reproduction Responds.
The characteristics of living organisms. All living things are made of cells. have DNA obtain and use energy. Excrete wastes grow and develop. reproduce.
Chapter 1 Notes Biology bios = life logos, ology = study of
Characteristics of Living Things
The Characteristics of Life
Define Life Create a list of characteristics associated with life--what tells you that something is alive? Brainstorm with your partner. Write them in.
Biology Bio (life) logy (study of). Characteristics of Living Things.
1 Study of Life. 2 What is Biology? Biology is the study of all living things Living things are called organisms Living things are called organisms Organisms.
Study of Biology. What is Biology? Biology is the study of all living things Living things are called organisms Living things are called organisms Organisms.
What makes something alive ?
Characteristics of Life
Living Things Notes Jot spot… What are living things like?
What is biology? Biology is the study of living things (organisms).
Biology: The Study of LifeCHAPTER 1 1. Biology = the study of life Interactions of Life Living things do not exist isolated from other living things.
© 2019 SlidePlayer.com Inc. All rights reserved.