Presentation on theme: "Elements of Suspense. 1. Although the visual elements of the suspense drama are the main focus, what other elements add to the development of the climax?"— Presentation transcript:
1. Although the visual elements of the suspense drama are the main focus, what other elements add to the development of the climax? SoundLighting Make Up Editing Techniques
2. Camera angles play an important roll in focusing the viewers attention. How does the director use the following angles?
Close Up Eliminates any scene distraction and focuses on the reaction and or emotions of the actor.
Tilted Indicates that something is not right. Adds to the mystery.
Low angle Gives the person or object a superior position.
High angle Shows the person or object in an inferior position.
3. Lighting plays an important role in adding to suspense. What are the purposes of the following lighting techniques?
Bright daylight Indicates that things are normal and all the scene elements are out in the open to see.
Low light Adds some mystery to the scene because some things are hidden.
Directional lights Helps to indicate the location of the scene. Also the light is used to focus the viewers eye where the director wants them to look.
Low angle source Gives the actor(s) an eerie look. Shadows hide facial features and disquise emotions. Used in all Classic Horror movies.
High angle source Causes heavy shadows and used to indicate some type of stress.
Back lighting Used to silhouette the actor(s). Conceals identity and facial features. When combined with front lighting, adds a hallo effect and gives the actor(s) an angelic look and sets them apart from the background.
Hard lights Produces heavy shadow areas. Shows hard facial features. Used to show hostility. Features the bad guy.
Soft lights Softens facial features. Used to show warmth and friendliness. Features the Good Guy.
4. Tell me how important you think the sound is when used to build the suspense of a scene.
Paragraph starters: I think The sound enhances what we see by….. the sound is very important because….. It also adds to the…… The volume of the sound track is important because it……
5. What are some audio tricks that the director uses to help the scene move along?
Eerie soundsEerie sounds Low volumeLow volume High volumeHigh volume Off key musicOff key music
6.What roll does the strength, or volume, of the music play? It helps to stimulate our emotions in conjunction to the visual effects.
7.In what way does Make- up add realism to the scene? It helps to make the actors more believable and realistic.
8. How did the director use all or some of these elements in the Twilight Zone shows that we viewed? Explain your findings in a complete paragraph.