Presentation on theme: "Parts of Speech Verbs Objectives:"— Presentation transcript:
1Parts of Speech Verbs Objectives: To distinguish among action verbs, linking verbs, and transitive and intransitive verbsTo identify verb phrasesTo use verb forms correctly in writing
2Part Definition Example NounA person, place, thing, or idea.Under the clouds, we felt like fish swimming in suntan oil.PronounA word that takes the place of one or more nounsElectra thought that her tattoo was larger than she expected.VerbA word or phrase that expresses action or a state of beingThe movie starts at 9:00. (action)The movie is terrible. (being)
31. Action VerbsTells what action the subject of a sentence is performingMost verbs are action verbs
41. Action Verbs Show physical action: Kim Lee shouted a warning to his friends.Chuck mailed cartons of food.Toby and Serena volunteer at the local animal shelter.
51. Action Verbs Show mental action or ownership: I always remember your birthday.Jerry had his snowboard gear in the car.Elfanso forgot it was Tuesday.
62. Verb Phrases A main verb plus one or more helping verbs Common Helping Verbsbeam, is are, was, were, be, being, beenhavehas, have, haddodo, does, didOther helping verbsmay, might,must, can, could, shall, should, will, would
72. Verb Phrases The police have reopened the missing persons case. CSI investigators do not overlook any evidence (can be separated by other words).My car does’nt handle easily in the snow (the word not and its contraction n’t are never part of the verb phrase).
82. Linking Verbs Links the subject with another word in the sentence The other word either names or described the subjectSally Ride was [the first American woman] in space.You would be [amazed] how hard astronaut training is.
92. Linking Verbs Common forms of Be be will be has been being can be had beeniscould becould have beenamshould beshould have beenarewould bewould have beenwasmay bemay have beenweremight bemight have beenbeenmust bemust have beenshall behave been
102. Linking Verbs Additional Linking Verbs **most of these may also be used as action verbs**appearfeellookseemsoundtastebecomegrowremainsmellstayturn