Presentation on theme: "Parts of Speech Verbs Objectives: 1.To distinguish among action verbs, linking verbs, and transitive and intransitive verbs 2.To identify verb phrases."— Presentation transcript:
Parts of Speech Verbs Objectives: 1.To distinguish among action verbs, linking verbs, and transitive and intransitive verbs 2.To identify verb phrases 3.To use verb forms correctly in writing
Part Definition Example NounA person, place, thing, or idea.Under the clouds, we felt like fish swimming in suntan oil. PronounA word that takes the place of one or more nouns Electra thought that her tattoo was larger than she expected. VerbA word or phrase that expresses action or a state of being The movie starts at 9:00. (action) The movie is terrible. (being)
1. Action Verbs Tells what action the subject of a sentence is performing Most verbs are action verbs
1. Action Verbs Show physical action: Kim Lee shouted a warning to his friends. Chuck mailed cartons of food. Toby and Serena volunteer at the local animal shelter.
1. Action Verbs Show mental action or ownership: I always remember your birthday. Jerry had his snowboard gear in the car. Elfanso forgot it was Tuesday.
2. Verb Phrases A main verb plus one or more helping verbs Common Helping Verbs beam, is are, was, were, be, being, been havehas, have, had dodo, does, did Other helping verbs may, might,must, can, could, shall, should, will, would
2. Verb Phrases The police have reopened the missing persons case. CSI investigators do not overlook any evidence (can be separated by other words). My car doesnt handle easily in the snow (the word not and its contraction nt are never part of the verb phrase).
2. Linking Verbs Links the subject with another word in the sentence The other word either names or described the subject Sally Ride was [the first American woman] in space. You would be [amazed] how hard astronaut training is.
2. Linking Verbs Common forms of Be bewill behas been beingcan behad been iscould be could have been amshould be should have been arewould be would have been wasmay be may have been weremight be might have been beenmust be must have been shall behave been
2. Linking Verbs Additional Linking Verbs **most of these may also be used as action verbs** appearfeellookseemsoundtaste become growremainsmellstayturn