Presentation on theme: "Presented by: Tracy Ellis, General Magistrate, 13 th Judicial Circuit Selena Schoonover, Court Case Manager, 13th Judicial Circuit David Silverstein, Assistant."— Presentation transcript:
Presented by: Tracy Ellis, General Magistrate, 13 th Judicial Circuit Selena Schoonover, Court Case Manager, 13th Judicial Circuit David Silverstein, Assistant Attorney General, Tampa
Launched in the 13 th Judicial Circuit, by the Hon. Herbert Baumann in Focuses on: Foster Care Teens Youth involved in both the dependency and delinquency systems
The Independent Living Court provides Frequent Status Conferences for case planning and review. Close oversight as the teen approaches 18 years old to ensure the teen receives all services.
Launched in December 2008 Focuses on: Teens eligible for Independent Living Court and who have mental health issues and/or developmental disabilities
The Program provides: Extensive hearings and follow-up to address each teens distinct issues Oversight to ensure that each teen is provided with necessary services Comprehensive plan to transition the teen to life after foster care
This Program consists of: Part-Time General Magistrate Case Manager Mental Health Professional
Through frequent hearings the GM is able to: Ensure appropriate mental health services before and after the age of 18 Monitor psychotropic medication Obtain comprehensive psychiatric and/or psychological evaluations Follow-up on appropriate APD services
Ensure individualized educational plans Monitor medical and dental services Track criminal charges and disposition Address appropriate SSI benefits Transition to post-18 services and placements
Follow-up on ILS services where appropriate Work on Guardianship plans Address all crisis issues
There is a need for foster children of all ages, who have developmental disabilities, mental health challenges and other complex problems, to have strict court oversight.
In a sample of all children involved in the child welfare system: Nearly 50% exhibited a clinical need for mental health services Only 16% received any mental health specialty services in the 12 months preceding the survey Remaining 84% received no mental health services
Among the children with strong evidence of clinical need, only 12% had received any care Young children were very unlikely to receive mental health care.
The 13 th Judicial Circuit obtained a grant to expand the Program to focus on children who have, or are suspected to have, one of the following pervasive conditions: Developmental disability Developmental delays Chronic medical condition Mental health disorder
The child must also have at least two of the following contributing risk factors: Under the age of seven Two or more of the pervasive conditions The victim of sexual abuse or severe physical abuse Baker Acted multiple times
Developmental disability but has been denied services by ADP Adoption disruption A parent with one of the pervasive conditions aforementioned Multiple placement changes within 6 months
Unmet educational need Medical complication Mental health or behavioral problems Aging out of foster care
Caseworker "Parent Perspective" – Urgency Achieve expertise with mental health, APD, and educational services for children Know how to access services Understand funding alternatives Do not assume what child needs - have professionals make determination
Caseworker (cont.) Understand evaluations Make sure child understands process and services Advocate for the childs right to a stable education
CLS Attorney Establish expertise Meet with the child Advocate for the child Understand evaluations Ensure that caseworker is accessing services for child Build relationship with APD attorney