21. An airplane has 4 forces acting on it: weight, drag (air friction), the thrust of the engines and the lift force caused by the flow of air over the wings.55,000 N5000 N upIf the pilot wishes the airplane to move forward, then the ______ must be greater than the _______.FliftFdrag20,000 NFthrust20,000 NAirplaneFweight50,000 Nthrustdrag
32. A 200 N table has a 30 N book resting upon it. FtableBookFweight of book30 N = equal and opposite force of the tablepushing up on the book (called the normalforce)Book30 N = mass of book x acceleration (9.81 m/s2)
4Each rope must exert a force of 75 N. 150 N = 75 N + 75 N 3. A child weighing 150 N is sitting on a swing. The swing is equally supported by 2 ropes, one on each side. What is the force exerted by each rope?Each rope must exert a force of 75 N. 150 N = 75 N + 75 NFropeFrope = 75 N, which is the tension forceSwing seatFchild = 150 N, which is the force ofweight due to gravity
5Fchain 2 = Fweight - Fchain 1 = 1500 N – 600 N = 900 N 4. Two chains are used to support a small boat weighing 1500 N. One chain has a tension of 600 N. What is the force exerted by the other chain?Fchain 2 = Fweight - Fchain 1= 1500 N – 600 N= 900 NFchain 2Fchain 1 = 600 NBoatFweight = 1500 N
65. A heavy box weighing 1000 N sits on the floor 5. A heavy box weighing 1000 N sits on the floor. You press down on the box with a force of 450 N. What is the normal force on the box? (Same method as #4)Fn = 1450 NBoxFp = 450 NFw = 1000 NA normal force is perpendicular to the plane of action.
76. A 40 N cat stands on a chair. If the normal force on each of the cat’s back feet is 12 N, what is the normal force on each front foot? (Same method as #4)The normal force must equal the force of the cat’s weight 40 N = 2(12 N) + 2x 40 N = 24 N + 2x 16 N = 2x 8 N = x Therefore, the normal force on each front foot is 8 N
87. Two forces are acting on a pencil, pushing it to the right 7. Two forces are acting on a pencil, pushing it to the right. One force is 9 N and the other is 6 N. There is a 6 N force pushing the pencil to the left. What is the net force acting on the pencil? (Don’t forget the direction!)Fp = 9 NFp = 6 NPencilFp = 6 NThe net force acting on the pencil is 9 Newtons to the right.Fp = 9 NPencil
98. A train is climbing a gradual hill 8. A train is climbing a gradual hill. The weight of the train creates a downhill force of 150,000 N. Friction creates an additional force of 25,000 N acting in the same direction. How much force does the train’s engine need to produce so that the train is in equilibrium (not sliding back down the hill)?Ft = ? NTrainFf = 25,000 NFw = 150,000 NFt = Ff + Fw Ft = 25,000 N + 150,000 N = 175,000 N