Presentation on theme: "Plant Unit Review Answer Key Exploring Plants Chapters"— Presentation transcript:
1Plant Unit Review Answer Key Exploring Plants Chapters 23- 26
2SC.912.L.14.7 Ch 25 Relate the structure of each of the major plant organs and tissues to physiological processes.
31. What is the waxy protective covering of a land plant is called 1. What is the waxy protective covering of a land plant is called? cuticle.2. A haploid stage following a diploid stage in a plant’s life cycle is called what? alternation of generations.3. What is the function of the seed coat? Protects the seed from drying out.4. What is the function of a flower? reproductive structure.5. What structure transports water and minerals in vascular plants? The xylem6. What functions do fruits produced by angiosperms perform?provide food for humans and other animals, protect the seeds and disperse the seeds
47. What is the function of the Cotyledon? store nutrients. 8. What is the partially developed plant found in seeds is known as? Embryo
5A petalB. sepalC. stigmaD. styleE. ovary with eggsF. antherG. fillament
616. Which part produces pollen? Anther f 17. Which part produces the ovules? ovary e18. Which part is where the pollen originally lands and then grows a tube to reach the ovules? stigma c
719. What does the phloem in a plant do? transports sugars. 20. The first sign of germination is the emergence of the embryo’s what? root.21. Annuals complete their life cycles in what period of time? One growing season.22. List three things that generally cause tropisms in plants? Light, gravity and touch23. Plants are the dominant group of organisms on land based on what? weight24. Producing organic materials from inorganic materials means plants can convert what into what?Carbon dioxide into glucose
825. Symbiotic relationships between fungi and plant roots are called what? Mycorrhizae 26. What structure provides protection, nourishment, plant dispersal and delays growth? the seed27. The main function of this second whorl of a flower part is to attract pollinators. What is it called?petals28. A flower with all 4 of its parts is known as a complete _ flower.29. When plants reproduce using pollen and ovules it is called _ sexual _reproduction.
930. Reproduction using stems and leaves of plants that does not involve reproductive structures is called what? vegetative reproduction31. The type of tissue that covers the outside of a plants body is known as what? dermal32. The loss of water from the surface of a leaf is called what? transpiration33. The plant organ in which photosynthesis most often occurs is the what? leaf34. The organ that anchors the plant and contains a large amount of vascular tissue and can contain storage of food is what plant organ? root
1035. Plant cells are (Prokaryotic or eukaryotic) and (unicellular or multicellular)? eukaryotic, multicellular36. A seed that splits into 2 parts, has 2 seed leaves and develops into a plant with leaves with nonparallel veins is an example of what type of angiosperm? dicot
11SC.912.L Ch 23 Discuss basic classification and characteristics of plants. Identify bryophytes, pteridophytes, gymnosperms, and angiosperms.
1237. What is a bryophyte? Mosses, Non vascular plants 38. What are the basic characteristics of bryophytes? Plants with no vascular tissues that are small Give an example. Mosses, liverworts and hornworts are examples39. What is a pteridophyte? A fern or fern ally, vascular seedless plant40. What are the basic characteristics of pteridophytes? Give an example. Vascular plants with alternation of generations reproduce with spores. Examples include ferns wisk ferns and horse tail ferns
1341. What is a gymnosperm? Gymnosperms are seed plants whose seeds do not develop within a sealed container.42. What are the basic characteristics of gymnosperms? Give an exampleThey produced seeds not in a seed coat but in cones or “naked” examples include pine trees gymnosperms—conifers, cycads, ginkgo, and gnetophytes
1443. What is an angiosperm? Flowering plants that produce seeds and develop enclosed within a specialized structure called a fruit.44. What are the basic characteristics of angiosperms? Give an example. Flowers, seeds in seed coats. Examples include orange trees, apple trees, all types of flowers45. What were the ancestors of today’s land plants? green algae.
1546. Are the following vascular or nonvascular plants 46. Are the following vascular or nonvascular plants? Moss, hornwort, liverwort are non vascular and fern is vascular47. The first plants had to be what in order for osmosis and diffusion to be able to transport all of the needed water and nutrients to all of their cells? Very small48. The naked seed plants that are among the most successful of the plants are called what?gymnosperms
16Study the vocabulary list and add notes to all of the words!!! Don’t forget to do the 3 assignments at the bottom of the blue plant notes page!Assignments:5pts1. Figure 1 page 552 shows the main organs of a plant. Draw a diagram similar to this and label the main plant organs as shown in this picture. Use color!
1714 pts 2. Draw the diagram on page 559 figure 10 of the leaf’s internal structure.5pts Label the parts. Look at a slide of a real leaf cross section and draw what you see at high power.5pts Try to find all of the same structures. 4pts Do the analysis questions in the quick lab on page 5581. Describe a stoma, and relate the function of a stoma to your description. A stoma is a slit-like openingbetween two guard cells. It allows carbon dioxide to enter the leaf. Water vapor and oxygen exit the leaf through the stomata.2. Describe the location and contents of the veins. 2. Veins are distributed throughout the mesophyll. They contain xylem and phloem.
1810 pts 4.Page 538 Draw a diagram of a flower and its reproductive parts. Use color
19PageAssignmentPoints1Table of Contents52Plant Notes blue203Plant vocabulary Notes added by Friday 4/8/114Bean LabAssignments 1,2,and 4296Review sheet on Plants Due Wednesday 4/6/11107Blue poster direction sheet with 3 posters evaluated158Flower lab/ groups of 5 so only one of you will have it!Total104