Presentation on theme: "Systems Analysis & Design"— Presentation transcript:
1Systems Analysis & Design BTEC National DiplomaUnit 11Task 3 - System Requirements Specification (P5, M2, D1)
2Aim: Create a System Requirements Specification to help drive the project along Outcomes:Everyone will select information that can be organised into a concise but detailed format in order to outline the project requirementsEveryone will ask the client questions in order to collect information where it hasn’t been provided
3System Requirements Specification Based upon your findings in task 2 you are required to produce a system requirements specification documentDetails you must include:ScopeConstraintsInputsOutputsProcessesRecommended Solution
41. INTRODUCTION The name, location and nature of the business Who are the customers/marketNames & contact details of key staffWhat is the business problem you are trying to solve and why is a new system needed
52. SYSTEM OVERVIEW Who is intended to use it ? How many users are there (both the total number and the maximum number of concurrent users at any one time)?Are they the same type of user or different (eg sales and management) ?What level or computer experience will the users have (eg familiarity with Word/Excel) ? ETC…
63. FUNCTIONAL REQUIREMENTS A description of what the new system should do to solve the business problem. This will probably be a few lines explaining what you want to achieve eg.Faster transactionsMore accuracyHigher sales / profitBetter customer serviceMore user-friendly system for staff etc.
74. DATA TO BE HELD Describe what data tables you expect to hold eg. CustomerDVDRental records etc.Provide as much detail as you can. For example a customer record might consist of a name, address, tel. no, fax no, mobile no, address and so on.
85. OPERATIONAL SCENARIODescribe a set of scenarios that illustrate, from the user's perspective, what will be experienced when using the system under various situations eg.Renting a DVDReturning a DVDChasing overdue payments etc.
96. SCHEDULE & BUDGETDescribe what timescale you are working to, any critical deadlines, any management constraints (eg manager away on holiday in May) and the budget you are working to.Include a breakdown of where the budget is going to be spent.Hardware/software/Training/Maintenance/ ISP/Project Fees
10Merit Guidance (M2)Suggest a range of alternative solutions to the recommendation you have made in the System Requirements Specification. You must give valid reasons for each.Put these a separate section, not within the System Requirements Specification.These can simple alternatives, the client has given you his requirements so they must meet these.
11Distinction Guidance (D1) Undertake a cost benefit analysis of the proposed system. You do not need to include precise costs, approximations are adequate. All elements that should be part of a cost benefit analysis must be included.Produce a 10 Year PlanExplain benefits and where break even point is expected to be reached(Template on Moodle)
12Assignment Task 3 (P5)Continue to work on System Requirement Specification (P5)Based upon your findings in task 2 produce a system requirements specification documentCarry out any further investigation into the business (Scenario, questionnaire findings)Ask Dawid (your tutor) questions via Moodle messaging or about information you don’t know (this can be evidence for P4 too)The document must be proof readSee help sheet on Moodle for structure