Presentation on theme: "BASEL CONVENTION RESOURCE MOBILISATION TRAINING WORKSHOP 3 – 7 Dec 2006."— Presentation transcript:
BASEL CONVENTION RESOURCE MOBILISATION TRAINING WORKSHOP 3 – 7 Dec 2006
Introduction & Strategic Planning Session A3
3. Resource Mobilisation Workshop: The Team Claudia Fenerol SBC – Resource Mobilisation Pierre PortasSBC – Deputy Exec. Sec. Andreas ArltSBC staff John Mbogomaex BCRC South Africa John MyslickiConsultant to SBC - Ewaste Mike CockerellConsultant to SBC Lauren DeHavenSBC – Support/coordination
4. GOAL Appropriate implementation of Basel ( & other related Conventions) in participating African countries (through increasing the understanding & capabilities of Parties & other organisations in those countries, & of BCRCs, in identifying important needs & in the design, marketing & management of measures to address the needs).
5. The objective of the workshop to accelerate action to implement the Basel & related conventions in participating African countries, through participants: better understanding the processes of defining what needs to be done & designing, marketing, promoting & managing resultant actions; translating this workshop to the national level.
6. Prerequisites for achieving the goal Getting ESM of hazardous and other wastes into national planning documents; Strategic Plan for minimising and Managing Hazardous and other waste
7. STATEGIC PLANNING Strategic planning clarifies how important the issues associated with Basel and the related conventions are in a country, compared to other issues that compete for scarce resources. it involves institutions and decision takers in better understanding the issues; it shows how the best progress can be made with the minimum of investment.
8. Nationally, our task is surely: Decide through a process of information gathering, consultation and strategic planning, what needs to be done; Ensure that the national planning procedures take full account of hazardous waste priorities; Address the priorities identified through strategic planning, in part through the design, marketing and implementation of projects.