Presentation on theme: "Data archives: zooplankton and krill Bill Peterson NOAA-Northwest Fisheries Science Center Newport OR."— Presentation transcript:
Data archives: zooplankton and krill Bill Peterson NOAA-Northwest Fisheries Science Center Newport OR
Long-term time series in NEP GLOBEC: GOA GOA (Juneau region): hydrography, plankton and juvenile salmon Canadian Surveys: several types will be shown Washington & Oregon: Hydrography, plankton and juvenile salmon Newport: Long term observations GLOBEC: NCC PaCOOS Trinidad Head (NOAA and Humboldt State) Newport Central California: hydrography, plankton and juvenile salmon Central California and Gulf of the Farallones: krill surveys CalCOFI IMECOCAL
1. Seward Line: Shelf/slope GLOBEC 1998- 2003, continuing, but somewhat infrequenty. Russ Hopcroft 2. Southeast Alaska, monthly shelf surveys 1997 to presesnt, from May to September at five stations with CTD, chlorophyll, zooplankton tows and juv. Salmon trawls. Joe Orsi. 3. DFO-Canada. Juv salmon surveys from 1998-2011 in July, October and March with CTD, chlorophyll,an d zooplankton tows. Marc Trudel. n 1 2 3
4. Line P continues to be sampled but I do not know the frequency. 5. Shelf/slope zooplankton surveys, 5-6 times per year since 1982. Dave Mackas. Future unknown 4 5
6. Shelf/slope survey. CTD, nutrients, chlorophyll, zooplankton and Juvenile salmon sampling in May, June and September since 1998 (15th year). 7. Shelf/slope survey Newport Line biweekly oceanographic and zooplankton sampling since 1996 (17th year) Washington and Oregon
8.GLOBEC – Northern California Current, February, April, July, September, November 1998- 2003. CTD, nutrients, chlorophyll, zooplankton, some krill acoustics. N = 35 surveys 9.PaCOOS – NCC. Newport to San Francisco when possible; usually 3x per year, since 2004, often in May, July and September. N = 24 surveys. 10. Trinidad Head. Monthly sampling 2008-present. CTD, chlorophyll, zooplankton. Eric Bjorkstedt. 8 9 10
11. Juvenile salmon shelf/slope survey, Newport to n. Monterey Bay. June and September since 2011. CTD, nutrients, chlorophyll, zooplankton, juv. Salmon. Sean Hayes, SWFSC, Santa Cruz 12. Krill surveys in Gulf of Farallones. Jaime Jahncke. Last few years. 11
13. Juv rockfish and krill, every May since 1983, Steve Ralston but now John Field. Bill Sydeman making good use of the data. 14. CalCOFI 15. IMECOCAL
Hake (whiting) coastwide survey in summer Oceanographic data collected include: ADCP CTDO at selected shelf stations, at night Zooplankton and krill samples during the 2011 survey by the Peterson lab The 2012 survey was a joint hake-sardine survey and bunk space disallowed the participation of the Peterson lab.
Data Archives The COPEPOD website contains much of the copepod species abundance data collected in the Bering Sea, Gulf of Alaska and California Current and is available at http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/plankton http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/plankton Most of the data collected by the USGLOBEC program (from 1997-2003) are in the GLOBEC data base at Woods Hole: see this link for data access http://www.globec.org/http://www.globec.org/ Other data are not as readily available; one must contact the people listed in the above ppt presentation for listing of data holdings, etc.