Presentation on theme: "COMPOUND SENTENCES – HOW TO CHOOSE THE CORRECT CONJUNCTION AND – gives additional information She is tall, AND she plays basketball. BUT – shows opposite."— Presentation transcript:
COMPOUND SENTENCES – HOW TO CHOOSE THE CORRECT CONJUNCTION AND – gives additional information She is tall, AND she plays basketball. BUT – shows opposite ideas He was tardy, BUT he did not get in trouble. SO – tells why/gives a reason or result We got our progress reports, SO I know all of my grades.
Directions On your paper are five sentences that need to finished. For each sentence, match the three endings to the conjunctions. EXAMPLE Fred lost his job, and he needs a new one. but he found a new one yesterday. so he doesn’t have any money to buy a new car.
1. Jackson failed his math test, he is not able to make it up. he passed his reading quiz. he is grounded for a week.
2. Sarah went to the mall, she didn’t buy anything. she bought a pair of shoes. she could buy a present for Jake.
3. Brent wrote a story, he has to read it in front of the class. it was not very good. everybody liked it.
4. Lindsey drank some milk, she ate some cookies. it was sour. she can have healthy bones.
5. Jake went to his friend’s house, Jackson and Sarah were there. he was not home. they could play basketball.
Now you try. Use the conjunctions AND, BUT, SO in your own sentences on the back of your paper: 6. (and) 7. (but) 8. (so) 9. Your choice of and, but, so 10. Your choice of and, but, so **Remember to combine two complete sentences and use a COMMA before the conjunction!!