Presentation on theme: "THE CATALAN MODEL FOR A MULTILEVEL IMMIGRATION MANAGEMENT Espai Catalunya Europa Government of Catalonia. Delegation to the EU 27th march 2012."— Presentation transcript:
THE CATALAN MODEL FOR A MULTILEVEL IMMIGRATION MANAGEMENT Espai Catalunya Europa Government of Catalonia. Delegation to the EU 27th march 2012
0. Catalunya, a Country of migrations 1.Principles of immigration policies 2.The National Pact for Immigration 3.Participation and coordination bodies 4.Municipalities, NGOs, and socioeconomic agents support 5.Immigration laws competences: progressive decentralization 6.The Catalan integration model 7.International collaboration INDEX
0. Catalunya, a Country of migrations (1/4) 7.539.618 inhabitants (Jan 2011) 1.185.852 foreigners (15,7 %) 21 % out of the whole amount of foreigners in Spain More than 177 nationalities More than 250 languages spoken
Foreigners Spanish 0 1.000.000 2.000.000 3.000.000 4.000.000 5.000.000 6.000.000 7.000.000 8.000.000 6.080.401 6.104.011 6.124.373 6.161.138 6.170.473 6.196.302 6.220.9406.238.001 6.260.288 6.286.141 6.313.843 6.353.766 181.590 257.346 382.062 543.008 642.846 798.904 913.757 972.507 1.103.790 1.189.279 1.185.852 1.198.538 200020012002200320042005200620072008200920102011 2,9% 4,0% 5,9% 8,1% 9,4% 11,4% 12,8% 13,5% 15,0% 15,9% 15,7% 16,0% 1 million new citizens in 10 years Font: Idescat, Padró oficial a 1 de gener de cada any 0. Catalunya, a Country of migrations (2/4)
EU countries Non EU countries 101.905 Romania 47.493China 32.577Perú 22.746 Germany 20.667 Senegal 16.297 Portugal 236.991 Morocco 68.880 Equador 52.485 Bolívia 48.484 Colòmbia 45.474 Italy 33.683 France 28.923 Argentina 43.056 Pakistan 23.321 Brasil 21.803 República Dominicana 20.571 UK 17.071 Gambia 16.978 Ucraine 19.105 Índia Main countries of origin of foreign population in Catalunya Font: Idescat, Padró oficial a 1 de gener de 2011 0. Catalunya, a Country of migrations (3/4)
Migration balance in Catalunya, 1901-2006 Font : DOMINGO, A.. Onades migratòries a Catalunya: una perspectiva sociodemogràfica. Centre dEstudis Demogràfics. Universitat Autònoma de Barcelon, 2007. 33.659 224.254 321.960 110.120 254.655 439.761 719.993 703.616 270.124 272.700 -53.210 -100.000 0 100.000 200.000 300.000 400.000 500.000 600.000 700.000 800.000 1901-19101911-19201921-1930 1931-19401941-19501951-19601961-19701971-19801981-19901991-2000 2001-2006 -200.000 0. Catalunya, a Country of migrations (4/4)
1. Principles of Immigration policies Institutional continuity commitment: from the Cross-Government Immigration Action Plan 1993-2000, the 2001-2004 Action Plan, the Citizenship and Immigration Action Plan 2005-2008, and the 2009-2012 Action Plan, to the Citizenship and Immigration 2013-2016 Action Plan. Consensus to develop actions, regulations, and strategies to follow with all the stakeholders involvement. Searching co-responsability with all parts beyond participation. Cross-institutional: fostering and improving effectiveness of all the coordination and participation bodies within the Catalan Government, the Spanish Government, and the municipalities.
2. The National Pact for Immigration A strategic agreement signed in 2008 by political parties, employers organizations, Unions, municipalities, and main NGOs. It brings together 96 signing stakeholders in a constant process of update and extension. Meeting the Catalan society present-day demands for coexistence, social cohesion, and equal opportunities. Three main lines: Management of migratory waves and access to the labour market. Adapting public services to a diverse society. Integration in a public common culture.
3. Coordination and participation bodies Coordination and planning among the Catalan Government Ministries : The Cross-Ministry Immigration Comission. Participation of socioeconomic agents, NGOs, and other stakeholders within the sector: The Forum for Citizenship and Immigration. Coordination with the Spanish Government: Bilateral Subcommittee for cooperation in Immigration. Coordination with municipalities: Municipalities Bilateral Subcommittee.
4. Municipalities, NGOs, and socioeconomic agents support Joint financing and annual subsidies offered to municipalities to foster first welcome services, professional contracting, equal opportunities and diversity integration, among others. Annual subsidy offered to NGOs and organizations working in the field of first welcome, promotion of equal opportunities, and the integration of immigrants. Agreements with the main employers organizations and Unions in Catalunya to manage diversity in companies and workplaces. Implementing the Llei dacollida de les persones immigrades (Welcome law for immigrants) reaching consensus in a progressive territorial deployment from now to 2015, in order to promote immigrants personal autonomy.
5. Immigration laws competences: progressive decentralization Catalonia manages 51 types of initial work permits, a competence assumed in 2009. 19.511 files have been managed in 2011: 1.177 were initial permits and 18.334 modifications. Since 2011, the Catalan Government has also been involved in the following: - the accreditation for the integration and renewal of residence permits. - the validation of the adequacy of housing for family reunification. - the integration effort for nationality acquisition. In almost a year we have managed over 23.000 cases, most of them related to social integration (13.555) and family reunification (9.167), all based on criteria agreed between the municipalities and the Government of Catalonia.
6. The Catalan integration model Catalunya counts on its own integration model based on: A network of NGOs and other organizations with a wide variety of good practice. An action plan reached through consensus with municipalities and civil society. An equal right and duties framework for the promotion of equal opportunities. An essential role for Catalan language as a key factor for social cohesion.
7. International collaboration The Catalunya Magrib programe: to promote non accompanied foreign minors return and to prevent premature immigration. Pilot plans to reinforce coexistence in neighbourhoods with high rates of immigrant population. The ERLAI Network: experience on cooperation between local and regional authorities on immigration and political asylum. Bilateral agreements with Flandes and Quebec. Presence in the European Web Site on Integration. Collaboration with the European Comission delegation in Barcelona.
EL MODEL CATALÀ DE GESTIÓ MULTINIVELL DE LA IMMIGRACIÓ Espai Catalunya Europa Government of Catalonia. Delegation to the EU 27th march 2012