European State of the Environment and Outlook Report 2010 – Part C Milan Chrenko, NFP/Eionet coordinator.
Presentation on theme: "European State of the Environment and Outlook Report 2010 – Part C Milan Chrenko, NFP/Eionet coordinator."— Presentation transcript:
European State of the Environment and Outlook Report 2010 – Part C Milan Chrenko, NFP/Eionet coordinator
1) What is S O E R? European State of the Environment and Outlook Report 2010 EEA flagship product E = Environment Natural media (e.g. air, water, soil) Living systems Biodiversity: species, habitats, ecosystems and services! Human: urban/rural
1) What is S O E R? Member countries Cooperating countries E = Europe for EEA= 32 Member Countries + 6 West Balkans (Cooperating)
1) What is S O E R? R = Report An obligation under EEA Regulation Art.2 vi: Publish a report on the state of, trends in and prospects for the environment every five years. Art.2 ii: Provide the Commission and Members States with the objective information necessary for framing and implementing sound and effective environmental policies.
1) What is S O E R? R = Other Report Goals Fulfil EEA mission: Support sustainable development and help achieve significant and measurable improvement in Europes environment by providing timely, targeted, relevant and reliable information to policy-making agents and the public. More global and long-term focus Europe in the world: reduce impacts on global environment The world in Europe: implications of global trends Link to Pan-European report and global assessments Continuous reporting/SEIS
1) What is S O E R? S = State …of environment DPSIR framework Drivers, Pressures, Impacts on State of environment Negative (e.g. D=transport, I=pollution) Positive (e.g. D=improved sewage treatment, I=less fish kills) Response/Solution How to improve State in the future E.g. policies/regulation, communications, investments O = Outlooks? What will happen to Pressures, State and Impact over time Business as usual or other scenarios for D and R
1) What is S O E R? In summary… The EEA will produce a European report for 2010, covering 38 countries, on the current state of the environment, how we got to that state, what that state might be by 2020, what is being done and what could be done to improve that state… plus more, as you will see.
Part C in SOER context A Exploratory assessment Global drivers Megatrends Uncertainties Long-term policy implications C Country specific analyses Diversity Commonality Flexibilty B EEA+6 wide system analysis Atmosphere Freshwater Marine Terrestrial Human Synthesis Integrated Analysis (Reflecting – Reviewing – Rethinking)
Europe of concerted national environmental effort By using a combination of describing trends and highlighting solutions we want to show that Europe has, through the strong common environmental policy framework that distinguishes it from almost any other part of the world, worked to deliver environmental improvements for the benefit of its citizens Vision for Part C
Content of Part C Covering 38 countries Complementing European benchmarking in Part B with detailed country-level analyses Enabling countries to focus on common issues from national perspective Bringing out diversity of country realities Providing platform for communicating issues of particular national concern Assessments by countries, guided by EEA Creating process for regular, rather than ad-hoc, reporting
Part C – country-level analyses Commonality 6 common issues (air pollution, climate change mitigation, nature protection and biodiversity, land, freshwater, waste) DPSIR entry point including outlook 2020 Diversity Country differences and uniqueness linked to key geographical, cultural and socio-economic challenges Socioeconomic long term outlooks, scenarios (beyond environment) Flexibility Highlighting regional issues, good practice/success stories at country level, and/or tackling global issues at national level Open for outlooks component
Timetable 2009CommonalityDiversity/Flexibility Jan Feb Mar Apr May JunDraft Air & WaterFirst Draft Div Jul AugEEA Review SepDraft Land & Bio OctEEA ReviewSecond Draft Div NovDraft CC & Waste DecEEA ReviewFirst Draft Flex 2010CommonalityDiversity/Flexibility JanEEA Review FebSecond Draft MarSecond Draft Flex AprEEA Review May JunFinal Draft Jul Aug Sep Oct NovLaunch DecCountry launches (?)
Part C on the web Individual country web sites residing on an EEA web server. Content maintained by the country itself via a web form template Each country maintains its own web site at national level and provides inputs into the EEA Part C portal through RSS/RDF feeds A combination of these two options
Part C and Forward-looking information Component on forward-looking information in Diversity and Commonality parts Several countries addressed forward-looking information in their 1 st drafts of Diversity and Commonality Possibility to include - in Flexibility - integrated forward- looking assessment approach using: SEIS Forward Findings of Blossom project Linking all three parts together Discuss with your NFP/Part C coordinator possibilities for cooperation on forward-looking component of Part C
Coordination - Part C Coordination: EEA Part C Team National Focal Points/Part C coordinators in 38 countries Contributors: National Reference Centers for State of the Environment, NRCs for thematic areas EEA Reviewers: Part C team/Part B theme teams
NRC FLIS ToR (1) In the short term (2009/10): Review and comments on EEA products/processes SEIS/ SEIS- Forward (including Forward-looking reports and indicators) SOER part A Contribution to SCP / sectoral scenario activities Participation in meetings and working groups Participate in relevant meetings Two specific Eionet meetings per year Information delivery/ reporting/ support to scenario building Facilitate exchange of information Coordinate activities between different institutions in the countries
NRC FLIS ToR (2) In the Long run (2011-13) Review and comments on EEA products/processes Review forward looking reports Participation in meetings and working groups Participate in capacity building exercises Participate in relevant Scenario activities Information delivery / reporting / support to scenario building Providing good practice information from EEA member countries Facilitate exchange of information Support to SEIS- Forward, on-site management of country information (access to forward looking indicators, scenarios etc.)
NRC FLIS policy processes to support Contribution to SEIS/ SEIS- FORWARD (content input) EU Sustainable Development Strategy (SDS) – review and policy learning Green Economy Initiative/ renewed Lisbon agenda EU 7th EAP Environmental Action Plan Priority setting for EU 7th and 8th Research Framework Programme EU action plan on SCP / Sectoral policies RIO + 20 Process & Conference 2012 European & Global Assessments (ENERGY, UNEP, etc.)