Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

EPP-ED WORKSHOP ON RULES OF PARTICIPATION ON THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE 7 th FRAMEWORK PROGRAMME (2007-2013) Viewpoint from the European University Association.

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "EPP-ED WORKSHOP ON RULES OF PARTICIPATION ON THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE 7 th FRAMEWORK PROGRAMME (2007-2013) Viewpoint from the European University Association."— Presentation transcript:

1 EPP-ED WORKSHOP ON RULES OF PARTICIPATION ON THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE 7 th FRAMEWORK PROGRAMME ( ) Viewpoint from the European University Association Dr John H Smith EUA Deputy Secretary-General European Parliament Brussels, 6 June, 2006

2 …2… Brief Profile of the EUA Established in 2001 in Brussels 750+ University Members 34 National Rectors Conferences Members Independent Voice for the University Sector

3 …3… Starting point for EUA Views on FP7 Rules of Participation The Glasgow Declaration (April 2005) Third EUA Convention of Higher Education Institutions « Strong Universities for a Strong Europe » On Funding, the Declaration stated: « Universities are working to diversify their funding streams. They are committed to exploring combined public/private funding models and to launch a structured and evidence- based discussion within EUA and with stakeholders. They will develop full economic costs and call on governments to allocate funds accordingly.»

4 …4… FP7 Rules of Participation: EC Proposals for Support Rates and Cost Models EUA welcomes the European Commissions commitment to the principle of the reimbursement of both direct and indirect eligible research costs. EU Research Framework Programmes are a central and important source of external research funding for universities that has had a major positive effect in fostering research collaboration across universities, research institutions and business enterprises. EUA has been involved in the « Sounding Board » established by the EC Research Commissioner Potocnik to bring forward proposals for the « Simplification » of application, evaluation, contract procedures and the rules of participation.

5 …5… EUA Position on FP7 Support Rates and Cost Models Three Main Issues 1. Universities that presently opt for the FP6 Additional Costs model hold serious concerns that the level of research cost reimbursement under FP7 proposals will not reach that achieved under FP6. 2. FP7 should be a transition period to allow universities to develop further their accounting systems to be able to operate fully within the proposed eligible research costs model. 3. The most critical issue will be the level of « flat rate » for indirect research costs reimbursement in the case of the many universities that are not yet able to identify fully their indirect costs.

6 …6… EUA Proposal on the Flat Rate for Indirect Eligible Research Costs Reimbursement The flat rate payment (on research and development activities for public bodies and higher education institutions) for indirect eligible research costs should be fixed at 60% of total direct eligible costs. Such a fixed flat rate would provide an incentive to universities to develop their accounting systems to be able to operate on full eligible cost principles by the end of FP7. Without this support there is a real danger that university participation will decline in FP7.

7 …7… Key Messages from EUA Prague Workshop 5 th May 2006 Hosted by Czech Rectors Conference and Charles University and attended by 30 university participants from the Czech Republic, Estonia and Poland, the Workshop found that: Most universities in the region have used the FP6 Additional Costs model; preparation for new rules on eligible costs will need considerable time and financial resources; A transition period would be needed to adapt accounting systems to the new FP7 costs model particularly in relation to identifying eligible indirect research costs; Also given that only 75% of eligible direct research costs were proposed to be reimbursed under FP7 Cooperation programme contracts, universities in the region would face major challenges in covering the remaining 25% from public or private sources.

8 …8… EUA Position is based upon Wide Consultation with its University Membership Debated and Supported by the EUA Council on 29 March Results from the contributions of the « EUA FP7 Working Group on Simplification and Funding Mechanisms » comprising of 12 members from universities across Europe. A member of the Working Group, Dr Pierre Espinasse, University of Oxford, UK, has kindly agreed to join me to present the EUA Position – looking from the « ground level » of the university towards the FP7 cost model. Thank you for your attention!


Download ppt "EPP-ED WORKSHOP ON RULES OF PARTICIPATION ON THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE 7 th FRAMEWORK PROGRAMME (2007-2013) Viewpoint from the European University Association."

Similar presentations


Ads by Google