Presentation on theme: "The Chain of Infection. As healthcare professionals, it is important to understand two facts about infection As healthcare professionals, it is important."— Presentation transcript:
6th - The Susceptible Host - The organism that accepts the pathogen The support of pathogen life and its reproduction depend on the degree of the hosts resistance.
Organisms with strong immune systems are better able to fend off pathogens.
Organisms with weakened immune systems are more vulnerable to the support and reproduction of pathogens.
- The essential part of patient care and self-protection. How to interrupt the chain of infection:
1. Pathogen Identification -Identification of infectious agent and appropriate treatment
2. Asepsis and Hygiene -Potential hosts and carriers must practice asepsis and maintain proper personal hygiene
3. Control Portals of Exit -Healthcare personnel must practice standard precautions:
Control body secretions and wash hands according to protocol.
4. Prevent a Route of Transmission - Prevent direct or indirect contact by: 1. 1.Proper handwashing 2. 2.Disinfection & sterilization techniques 3. 3.Isolation of infected patients 4. 4.Not working when contagious
5. Protect Portal of Entry -Healthcare professionals must make sure that ports of entry are not subjected to pathogens. (nose, mouth, eyes, urinary tract, open wounds, etc.)
6. Recognition of Susceptible Host -Healthcare professionals must recognize and protect high-risk patients.
Cancer Patients AIDS Patients Transplant Patients Infants Elderly Patients
Remember--breaking the chain of infection is the responsibility of each healthcare professional.